Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

Posted Dec 04, 2018 09:52 AM

Hi guys,

from vaious guidelines I see that an Instant ap can make local certificate authentication using his internal radius server (I cannot not use clearpass or other external radius server)

My question is: Instant ap can support more than one certificate at the same time for EAP-TLS? I'm thinking at the moment when I'll renew the certificate and I will install it in my devices, I can use two certificate (from the same CA) on the Instant at the same time to make more easily the migration?

thanks

• 2.  RE: Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 09:55 AM
    You should never be using the same client certificate on more than one device.

• 3.  RE: Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

Posted Dec 05, 2018 02:49 AM

Hi Tim,

thanks for the reply, but customer need to use only one certificate for some device, in case of certificate expiration, Instant virtual controller can store two certificate (made by the same internal CA) and work with both?

• 4.  RE: Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2018 08:37 AM
    Instant doesn’t store the certificate, only the trust anchor.

• 5.  RE: Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

Posted Dec 05, 2018 08:47 AM

sorry but i'm not expert with certificates, what does "trust anchor" means? Instant can store two valid trust anchors?

i'm referring to this article:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/IAP-with-local-EAP-TLS-SSID/m-p/255455

I understand that Boneyard installed the server certificate and root CA on the Instant..

• 6.  RE: Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2018 08:51 AM
    The server and client certificate are not necessarily related. At a bare minimum the root of the client cert needs to be trusted by the IAP. If both client certs are issued from the same root, they will both be valid.

• 7.  RE: Instant and local EAP-TLS auth

Posted Dec 05, 2018 08:54 AM

thanks for the explanation, but what about the possibility to have two valid certificate on the Instant to make easy the authentication of client during a certificate renewal?

• 8.  RE: Instant and local EAP-TLS auth
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 10, 2018 10:05 AM

Hi guys,

our Aruba rapresentative confirm to us that an Aruba Instant cannot store two server certificate.

bye all