Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Low Link Speed Clients Help

Hi all. I'm a new Aruba Partner and getting up to speed on wireless for my clients so thatnkls for your help and patience.

My needs and network setup are as follows:

1. I've got a school environment with about 100 wired PCs and printers, 35 new Lenovo  wireless laptops for faculty and students  on a Gb wired network
  2. The Lenovo laptops are configured with a Broadcom WiFi card, B/G/N, 1x1 capable of a link speed of 72Mbs at 20Mhz
  3. The desire is to continue to use Roaming Profiles/Folder Redirection for these laptops.
  4. 20 of these are student laptops that will be used together as a group in classrooms, so will log into the Domain together at the beginning of a class.
  5. Usage will be educational resources; Google Apps for Edu, CNN Student News video, Youtube for education, etc

The APs I would intend to use are IAP-135s and the questions are:

1. As I know that wireless is half duplex, and I know what my laptops are capable of connecting to the IAP-135s, how do I calculate or determine what the performance will be given a strong signal and low noise floor. (I hope my terminology is correct, but please correct me if it isn't)
  2. Is there a document or software at Aruba or elsewhere that helps in calculating these types of questions for surveying or troubleshooting.

Thanks very much for your input and assistance,

Kurt

MVP Guru

Re: Approach to calculate bandwidth needs questions

Several things will impact the overall performance of your wireless environment :
- rf health
- the amount clients
- the type of client (amount of streams is able to support)

See this thread:
http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/Calculating-bandwidth-needs-for-Campus-APs-deployments-on-slow/td-p/4453

A good tool to use to measure performance is iPerf or jPerf
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: