Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Low Link Speed Clients Help

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Low Link Speed Clients Help

Posted Jan 21, 2014 09:55 AM

Hi all. I'm a new Aruba Partner and getting up to speed on wireless for my clients so thatnkls for your help and patience.

My needs and network setup are as follows:

1. I've got a school environment with about 100 wired PCs and printers, 35 new Lenovo  wireless laptops for faculty and students  on a Gb wired network
    2. The Lenovo laptops are configured with a Broadcom WiFi card, B/G/N, 1x1 capable of a link speed of 72Mbs at 20Mhz
    3. The desire is to continue to use Roaming Profiles/Folder Redirection for these laptops.
    4. 20 of these are student laptops that will be used together as a group in classrooms, so will log into the Domain together at the beginning of a class.
    5. Usage will be educational resources; Google Apps for Edu, CNN Student News video, Youtube for education, etc

The APs I would intend to use are IAP-135s and the questions are:

1. As I know that wireless is half duplex, and I know what my laptops are capable of connecting to the IAP-135s, how do I calculate or determine what the performance will be given a strong signal and low noise floor. (I hope my terminology is correct, but please correct me if it isn't)
    2. Is there a document or software at Aruba or elsewhere that helps in calculating these types of questions for surveying or troubleshooting.

Thanks very much for your input and assistance,

Kurt

• 2.  RE: Low Link Speed Clients Help

Posted Jan 21, 2014 12:00 PM
    Several things will impact the overall performance of your wireless environment :
    - rf health
    - the amount clients
    - the type of client (amount of streams is able to support)

See this thread:
    http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/Calculating-bandwidth-needs-for-Campus-APs-deployments-on-slow/td-p/4453

A good tool to use to measure performance is iPerf or jPerf