Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

New APs not joining master/virtual controller

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  New APs not joining master/virtual controller

Posted Feb 04, 2019 10:36 AM

Hello, 

I have an IAP 205 that I have plugged into my network. It is pulling a correct IP address however it's starting its own group instead of joining the group I already have. It has the same firmware as my other APs. Is there anything I can do to force it to join? 

iap.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

• 2.  RE: New APs not joining master/virtual controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 04, 2019 11:33 AM

Have you confirmed these are part of the same L2 broadcast domain and that auto-join is enabled? Is the existing cluster cluster running a supported firmware version of the 205?

• 3.  RE: New APs not joining master/virtual controller

Posted Feb 04, 2019 12:29 PM

The cluster firmware is 6.5.4.10. Auto join mode is enabled in the cluser and on the new AP. Can you explain the L2 broadcast domain? Or point me where to check? I've never had to do anything but plug an additional AP into the network to get them to join the cluster. 1.PNG2.PNG

• 4.  RE: New APs not joining master/virtual controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 04, 2019 12:47 PM
    So in order for the IAP to join the existing cluster, the switch port will
    need to have the correct native vlan set as per the other IAPs. Do all of
    the IAPs obtain an IP address in the same subnet?

• 5.  RE: New APs not joining master/virtual controller

Posted Feb 04, 2019 12:52 PM

Yes, both the cluser APs and the new one are pulling a 255.255.255.0 subnets mask and the same gateway. So it the issue that the new AP is not "finding" the master?

• 6.  RE: New APs not joining master/virtual controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 04, 2019 01:42 PM
    And they both have the same native vlan set? Are you able to ping between them? If you check the logs do you see any entries in there?

Sent from my iPhone