Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Not know how to start with AP515

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Not know how to start with AP515

Posted Mar 30, 2020 08:04 AM

Hi guys,

I've received my AP515 today and immediately began (trying to) configure it. 

The very first thing I've noticed was a static red light which is not good according to the Install guide:

Red

System error condition - Immediate attention required

I did not worry immediately as I could reach the AP on its IP address via the web browser and ssh. 

The first hurdle I needed to take was logging into the Management portal, all the default passwords were denied. So I've reset the AP to factory defaults by holding down the reset button for more then 10 seconds. 

After the reset I couldn't reach the Management portal anymore, Safari keeps showing me the "This Connection Is Not Private". After the reset I cannot bypass this message anymore by clicking on Visit this Website. 

A different browser doesn't even give me the option to bypass the security message. Chrome for example gives me this reason:

192.168.255.5 normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to 192.168.255.5 this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be 192.168.255.5, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit 192.168.255.5 at the moment because the website sent scrambled credentials that Google Chrome cannot process. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Later I've noticed the AP was broadcasting a Setmeup SSID so this was my last resort to get things up and running. I've connected to this SSID and MacOS immediately served me with a captive management pop up where I could connect to the management portal. I can login without any problems and I can do management from here. But, the captive management pop up is very small and not resizable so this is not an option.

While still connected to the Setmeup SSID I've tried to go to 172.31.99.1 which got me redirected to setmeup.arubanetworks.com and with an error that I am not connect to the internet. 

I've upgraded the AP to the latest version:

# sh ver
    Please change default password to private ones before any other operator.
    Aruba Operating System Software.
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 515), Version 8.6.0.3
    (c) Copyright 2020 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP.
    Compiled on 2020-03-20 at 15:47:19 UTC (build 74788) by p4build
    FIPS Mode :disabled

AP uptime is 2 minutes 39 seconds
    Reboot Time and Cause: AP Reboot reason: Power-reset

I am out of options guys so I hope you can help me out.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Not know how to start with AP515

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 30, 2020 08:16 AM

Can you reach the AP via SSH? This sounds like a certificate issue at first glance. Any chance that this AP can reach the internet? You could also try setting up a trial Aruba Central account, and add this AP as one of your devices. Once you do that, you should be able to configure the AP via central and get it to a version with a certificate fix.

• 3.  RE: Not know how to start with AP515

Posted Mar 30, 2020 08:28 AM

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your reply.

That does sound plausible as my browsers are stating the certificate is invalid. 

I forgot to state that I did upgrade the AP to the latest version:

# sh ver
    Please change default password to private ones before any other operator.
    Aruba Operating System Software.
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 515), Version 8.6.0.3
    (c) Copyright 2020 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP.
    Compiled on 2020-03-20 at 15:47:19 UTC (build 74788) by p4build
    FIPS Mode :disabled

AP uptime is 2 minutes 39 seconds
    Reboot Time and Cause: AP Reboot reason: Power-reset

I couldn't find any known issues that I can link to mine in the release notes.

• 4.  RE: Not know how to start with AP515

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2020 04:33 AM

Can't see the error message from Chrome. The message you attached has a 'visit this website'. The warnings are expected if you didn't install a certificate.

While the captive portal pop up is on, you might be able to open a different browser and contact 'setmeup.arubanetworks.com' or 'instant.arubanetworks.com' to get in and configure your first SSID.

Also, there should be a possibility in the pop up to close it and 'use the network as is', then use a browser of your choice to configure the IAP.

What you could do as a last-resort is to create an SSID through the command-line and try to get access to the WebUI from there:

configure t
    wlan access-rule myssid
     rule any any match any any any permit
    exit
    wlan ssid-profile myssid
     enable
     type employee
     essid myssid
     wpa-passphrase mypassphrase
     opmode wpa2-psk-aes
    exit
    exit
    commit apply

• 5.  RE: Not know how to start with AP515
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 01, 2020 05:04 AM

Thanks for your replay Herman.

I fixed the problem by adding my AP to Aruba Central and downgrading the software to a by Aruba Central recommended version (8.5.0.5). I then removed the AP from Aruba Central to local management and from then I could access the Instant UI.

I took the risk by upgrading the Aruba OS again to the latest version (8.6.0.x) but still after the upgrade I could access the Instant UI. 

I have configured the AP to my liking now and it's working like a charm.

Management access is still buggy though (from time to time I cannot ping, ssh or access the AP by browser).