Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

PoE injector fail after some time

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  PoE injector fail after some time

Posted May 31, 2016 10:18 AM

HI,
    we have over 100 IAPs (205 model) and in 3 month near 10 PoE injector are failed.

Is very strange that so much PoE injector have this issue, and it is very fastidious, becaue The RMA procees is not ever quick.

Is a problem related only to my network? Or the Aruba PoE has some known problem?

There is some best practice?

Regards

Andrea Acampa

• 2.  RE: PoE injector fail after some time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2016 10:21 AM

What model/part number is that POE injector?

• 3.  RE: PoE injector fail after some time

Posted May 31, 2016 10:26 AM

HI,

part number is  PD-9001GR/AT/AC

• 4.  RE: PoE injector fail after some time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2016 12:47 PM

How is their failure being determined? And are they connected to a switch providing POE?  Are they connected to clean power? Sometimes you will see POE injectors (like the 9001 that provides 802.3at) but connected to an 802.3af power source. The POE injector will pass-through the 802.3af power and will not provide 802.3at and will appear like it fails to provide 802.3at power.

I don't think I've seen 10 poe injectors from Power Dsine fail in my entire career, so there's likely something wrong with the power or they are connected up to POE switches and are appearing not to work.

• 5.  RE: PoE injector fail after some time

Posted Jun 01, 2016 03:32 AM

HI,
    we try to change poe with another one and the ap works fine.
    After your reply I begin to suppose that can be an issue on electric line, because you are second technician that give to me this opinion.

Have you any idea about type of verification that i can do?

Regards

Andrea

• 6.  RE: PoE injector fail after some time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 06:44 AM

I would hire an electrician, they should be able to put some diagnostic tools on there to measure things like voltage, current, ground detection, etc. Additionally, if you have tons of devices connected to a single outlet or the circuit is heavily loaded, that will cause issues as well. Finally, you could look at putting power conditioners on the line (things like a power conditioning UPS), though you might be risking a more expensive UPS. The PowerDsine injectors are rock solid and I've personally never seen one fail, let alone nearly a dozen. So it seems like it might be some other factor(s).