Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget

Real world experience with large Instant Clusters

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Real world experience with large Instant Clusters

Posted Sep 26, 2018 09:35 PM

Hi all

A question for you regarding the practical limits of a Instant Cluster with a AP-345 as the VC.

I'm aware in theory 128 AP's and 2000 or so clients is a recommended maximum, however I haven't seen any recent real world examples of what is possible with the new AP-345's as they no doubt have tons of CPU and Ram.

Have a customer who needs connect approx 200 clients with EAP-PEAP/TLS and up to around 1800 Guest clients (Open SSID with Captive Portal). Only about 30 AP's though.

I know this is pushing the limits of what Instant is designed to do and controllers are best practice, but just try to gauge if anyone has seen anything similar in Aussie and how the CPU/Ram usage is under this type of load.

I have already warned the customer they will be pushing the Instant architecture, but just wanting to get some recent real world examples. A lot of the instant recommendations were no doubt made back in the days of IAP-225's etc being the VC. This wont be the load day 1, but I just want to set the expectations correctly to avoid any disappointment. I have recommended controllers are best plan for this many clients.

Second question, while we could split into 2 x Instant clusters, does this actually reduce the load on the Virtual controller? as when clients roam from one cluster to another lots of GRE tunnels will fire up etc putting more load on both of the VC's.

Keen to hear your thoughts as I'm sure you would have seen some pretty big Instant clusters in Australia.

Cheers

Nick