Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID Overhead When Using Zones - IAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  SSID Overhead When Using Zones - IAP

Posted Sep 23, 2016 10:47 AM

In the "less is more" category as it relates to SSIDs, I'm curious how that may come into play when using zones in the IAP?

I have one building with an SSID we'll call "SSID-Building1".  We'll also call the zone established for the IAPs in that building "Building1".  These IAPs are connected and manageed by the same virtual controller throughout the campus.  This SSID is then not broadcast on the IAPs in building two.  

Another example might be in a dense IAP deployment.  Perhaps the rationale for the dense deployment is having hundreds of students on their devices which are configured for a certain SSID.  But, maybe for the 10 or so devices that may connect to the guest network, I could zone every other IAP as "guest" reducing the IAPs that would be broadcasting the "SSID-Guest".

The best answer to reducing SSID overhead would obviously be to just reduce SSIDs.  But I'm wondering if utilizing zones, in theory, could also provide some benefit?

• 2.  RE: SSID Overhead When Using Zones - IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2016 09:15 AM

Zones conceptually could reduce the number of SSIDs being broadcast, so yes.