Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

how do I get Seamless Wireless Connectivity

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  how do I get Seamless Wireless Connectivity

Posted Jul 22, 2020 02:08 PM

I need some help please; I cannot get seamless wireless networking in my warehouse. I have eighteen  IAP 515 and the overlap very well.

The AP's are run as a basic standalone cluster and does not interact with a Mobility controller or Aruba Central. I have mobile scanners which drops off from the Wireless net work network when the need to switch access points. All laptops work as I can see the mobility trace but not but no Boyd devices. Fast roaming is activated on the SSID with protocol 802.11r, 802.11k, 802.11v I cannot activate Oppertunistic Key Caching as it doesn't use Raduis for Authentication.

What should i do, I thought of setting the Wireless up as mesh but mesh is only for Wireless extensions.

All my AP's are clasified as Indoor AP's.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated

• 2.  RE: how do I get Seamless Wireless Connectivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2020 08:06 PM

How far apart and how high are your access points mounted?

What is the transmit power on those access points on the band that serves the mobile clients? 

• 3.  RE: how do I get Seamless Wireless Connectivity

Posted Jul 30, 2020 02:45 PM

Thank you cjoseph for your reply.

The power is sufficient and the access points are not higher than 14 meters and also no more than 20 meters apart. 

The issue I have is with the handheld scanners it is hand held RF scanners (RF scan gun) and I fear that the Cypherlab scanner struggles to to adhere to the 802.11r roaming protocol and cant understand the hand over or mobility protocols. Ever come across that 

• 4.  RE: how do I get Seamless Wireless Connectivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 04:50 PM

Older devices could have problems with 802.11r, yes...

• 5.  RE: how do I get Seamless Wireless Connectivity

Posted Nov 04, 2020 05:57 PM
    You might check the barcode scanner's wireless driver to make sure that it can obey the roaming protocols.
    Many older drivers don't understand or implement them.

You may have a problem similar to what we've found with Summit drivers - specifically they only roam when they want to, rather than when the cluster wants them to. We've had to reduce signal strength to get them to roam in our warehouses.

------------------------------
    --Matthew

If I have in some way helped, please click the KUDOS button
    ------------------------------