Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

using a cluster in a tiny environment, consumer isp, switch, and POE questions

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  using a cluster in a tiny environment, consumer isp, switch, and POE questions

Posted Oct 01, 2019 01:51 PM

Ok, have a pair of IAP515s meant to be deployed in a tiny storefront using home style cable internet and a very small POE+, managable switch. Some conditions, with questions to follow;

A -  isp modem only provides 1 dhcp address to 1 mac address at a time)

B -  I can run new wires as needed and the gear is reasonably close so that's not a huge issue;

c - all clients are wireless, so there's no need to provide drops to anything other than the APs

d - there's no requirements restricting where addresses come from or range (the switch can have a dedicated subnet between it and the modem, between it and the APs, and the APs can give out addresses to clients, or any combination as long as you repect A) as long as everyone can reach the internet.

1 - Is it true that the 515 series needs both eth ports hooked up to POE+ for full operation (the same way older 2xx and 3xx units needed POE+ over POE or they would be in low power mode)?

2 - how would you recommend getting the APs both to see each other and the internet (vlan eth0 on the vc and the modem uplink at the switch? let the switch do dhcp between itself and the modem? tag both eth0 ports on both APs to the modem vlan?

3 - would there be a way for the APs to be redundant as the vc and share internet access so they can swap roles (using tags or creative vlan slicing)?

I can't tell if this is a simple issue I'm overthinking, or a real tough one I'm too simple to wrap myself around (using home grade stuff sometimes is more of a pain than enterprise grade!)

Any input would be appreciated, thx!

• 2.  RE: using a cluster in a tiny environment, consumer isp, switch, and POE questions

Posted Dec 04, 2019 02:18 PM

I'd add a firewall to the mix - to get the one IP address from the ISP and NAT the internal network. That way the iAP cen get IP from the firewall and talk to each other easily.

Clients can still connect to the WiFi and either get IP from iAP or from firewall etc.

• 3.  RE: using a cluster in a tiny environment, consumer isp, switch, and POE questions

Posted Dec 04, 2019 02:23 PM

ok, here's what eneded up happening, 

used an edgerouterX from ubiquity, as it can do the nat/firewall operation, and provide dhcp internally. 

The 515s are being fed with POE injectors. 

Ended up being the cleanest way I could make it happen. 

I'd love a version of the router that did POE+ for the 515s to get rid of the injectors and have a "one box" solution. 

• 4.  RE: using a cluster in a tiny environment, consumer isp, switch, and POE questions

Posted Dec 04, 2019 02:45 PM

I'm sure the Aruba 7008 would work for you ;)

[not as cheap as home gear though]

• 5.  RE: using a cluster in a tiny environment, consumer isp, switch, and POE questions

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 05:21 PM

From the datasheets, link.

- When powered by 802.3at (class4)  / 802.3bt (class 5) PoE, the AP will operate without restictions.

So if you run POE+ you only need connnect one cable for normal power distribution.

When you use a dedicated firewall you can run the AP-515 controllerless in instant mode. Buy a Aruba Central cloud licence to make it cloud manageble, would be very nice.