Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Re: Chromebooks on 802.1x SSIDs issues? and now Surface Tablets..

Cool, Yea our network setup is very similiar to yours based on what you wrote in the chain, If I see anything on the chrome will post. Funny I do see a ticket out there for issue "not being able to get on campus wireless with chromebook " LOL, Good luck. Let me know as well thanks.

I have a first gen Surface Pro.  I saw similar issues for the first few months I had it.  When i connected to .1x networks, it would work fine for an indefinite period of time and then drop into a limited connectivity mode that was difficult to correct.  If you do some web searches, there have been a ton of posts about it. It happens across a host of different AP types.  There are debates about exactly how/why/when you see the issue with a lot of peopel saying it has to do with 40 mhz channels.  It was so bad i carried around a USB wifi stick to make it work

That problem has been completely resolved for me for the past month or two.  There was a driver update that fixed it.  But that driver update, didn't properly install through windows update.  Windows update didn't get some of the registry settings updated that needed to be updated.  To get the fix to properly apply, I had to uninstall the driver, but not delete it. 

When you uninstall it, you have the option to delete it or not.  If you don't delete it, the driver will reinstall automatically on reboot.  At that point, everything should be healthy and good.

-Peter

Frequent Contributor I

Both Chormebooks and Surface Tablets work fine for me on public IPs and 802.1x.  Is only on private IP space NATed subnets I am having the issue, which is basically all our nets right now since we moved to private/NAT space a few months back.

Marcelo Lew
Wireless Network Architect-Engineer
University of Denver
Guru Elite

mlew2433 wrote:

Both Chormebooks and Surface Tablets work fine for me on public IPs and 802.1x.  Is only on private IP space NATed subnets I am having the issue, which is basically all our nets right now since we moved to private/NAT space a few months back.

mlew2433,

There has to be something in addition to private subnetting is creating the issue.  Did you do any user debugs on those devices to see what is happening while this occurs on the controller?

No two networks are the same, so while it works with private natted networks elsewhere (almost 100% of K-12s have this setup), we have to find out what specifically it is about your private network that the Chromebooks do not like.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Frequent Contributor I

Packet capture does not show any strange behavior.  TAC thinks is an issue with the Chromebooks since all looks good from the controller side.  Want to mention again that NATed open network are fine, is just 802.1x networks.  Moreover, not all Surface RTs or Chromebooks are affected, seems to be a particular year or chipset but can't find the common denominator yet.  

Marcelo Lew
University of Denver
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

We have recently discovered that our Chromebooks now support wifi single sign on correctly and manage vlan switching from a guest / provisioning wifi ssid to a user ssid using 802.1x correctly!

This is great as so far this is one of the only devices where I have seen this process handled cery gracefully with no input from the end user.

Background:  We utilize Google Apps Directory sync to keep our users/ou's in sync with Google Apps from our AD structure, we also handle password sync between AD and Google Apps, and also have 802.1x user based authentication (PEAP MSchapV2) in place.  We have set the device to pre-autehnticate to our guest/provisionsing network using a common username/password, and then set our chromebook user settings to use the username variable for the 802.1x authentication.

The result:  A user powers on the chromebook and the device has limited network access, and can login a user to their Google Account.  As soon as the login process completes the device disconnects from the guest network and automatically connects to the student SSID utilizing the username/password used to login to the chromebook.  

In the aruba logs I must say this is the most gracefull SSID / re-auth I have ever seen, and the device never seems to get stuck on the old VLAN (like I have seen on so many windows machines...)

Frequent Contributor I

Update.  Chromebooks work fine if I disable MPDU Aggregation under High-throughput SSID profile, however, this reduces performance significantly for other 802.11n clients.

Marcelo Lew
University of Denver

Marcelo,

Have you made any progess on the Chromebook/802.1X issue? We have discovered the newer Chromebook models suffer with connectivity issues unless MPDU is turned off.

Ted Moskalenko

Lead for Mobile Technologies

University of Pennsylvania

Contributor I

Ted-

I had a TAC case with Aruba on this issue.  The issue is a bug that was fixed in 6.3.1.3.  If you updated to 6.3.1.5 last week you should not hve to disable MPDU agg and BA MSDU.  Here is my other post:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Acer-c720-Chromebook-woes/td-p/150846

mbonadie

Excellent! Thank you for sharing!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: