Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Guru Elite

Re: Regular complaints of getting disconnected coming in from students

@jwhitaker@transy.edu wrote:

We are a small shop with one 7210 controller and about 170 APs and we are seeing exactly what you describe after moving to 6.4.2.2 from 6.4.1.0.  We are new to Aruba (about three months and counting) so we are not as familiar with the tools available to troubleshoot, but likewise we have not been able to pin it to any particular event.  We are also thinking about bumping back down to 6.4.1.0.  Our primary SSID is 802.1X, and we also provide an open SSID for students to register devices.  Most that we've heard from are on the 802.1X network but we are not sure that it is exclusive.  Would be interested to hear if 802.1X is also involved for you.

jwhitaker,

Welcome to Aruba.  Please look at the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 to see a list of things that you can check to determine what your problem is.

If you open a TAC case in parallel, it would help everyone on this thread if you report back on any progress you make.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars

@cjoseph wrote:

tparenti,

When you say "the exact same thing", can you be more specific?  Do you have mixed capability access points within earshot of one another?  What type of area(s) do you have this issue?  What clients have this issue.  RF problems do not particularly care about the version of code.  If you have a fundamental issue in a specific area, upgrades or knobs typically can only do so much..

Exact same thing just in terms of hearing complaints about drops. Moslty from students in dorms that have AP125's on an open network. I had one call from a staff member in a building with AP 135's. I beleive she was also on the open network.

How close do you consider "earshot"? Out of 4 buildings I have heard about these drops only one has a mix. The dorm side has 125's and the office has 225's. I dont think they are close enough to cause any issue but I am not certain. On my phone I have not been able to reproduce the issue. I am in a building with AP 105's. I have a debug running on the staff members phone and so far she has not had this happen again.

Guru Elite

tparenti,

Thank you for answering.

Let's focus on the dorm specifically:

Are the access points mounted in the halls or in the room?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor II

I'd be curious if anyone else has tried turning off client-match.  @Raf let me know if you do go campus-wide.  We're still working on this from all angles and I've got some really good tech support with TAC at the moment.  I'll keep the thread in the loop with any progress we make.

I'd be curious what percent other campuses are seeing for clients on the 2.4G band vs. the 5G band day-to-day on average too.  We tend to hover around 60% of clients are on 2.4 no matter what our arm settings are.  It may be those old thick walls.

Colin I did miss a few slices to that pie; I've since added 'coverage' as well.  We did add close to 100 APs since last year but I think the amount of clients and total spatial streams is up quite a bit.  That and maybe the clients desire better, stronger signals.  Seth (@sethfiermonti) posted a great apple link (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6463).  

if that same user is not in a call, or transmitting or receiving a series of data packets, then iOS 8 only considers BSSIDs with an RSSI of -63 dBm or better.
I know throughout our dorms we're not -63 or better in all rooms.  We're working on that.  We provision and loan out AP-105's to students and we've seen that help.

Guru Elite

pgemme,

I will tell you that the biggest two issues are (1) defining your specific problem in a meaningful way and (2) measuring what you changed is indeed making a difference.

The most important thing to understand is that whatever wireless you have is built on the RF, so you need a way to evaluate whether the RF is solid to start.  When I say solid, it should be able to work when there is nobody in the environment, but also work if we suddenly double the number of users on that access point.  The best way is to look at at area where you have the most issues reported, because it will be easier to know if the problem is fixed thereafter.  Dealing with that specific area would present the best opportunity for you to notice other things about your environment that could be contributing to your problem.  To get accurate and timely reporting you might have to walk the area and solicit feedback from users about their experience or engage a user who seems to have more issues than any other.  Accurate and timely reporting are a key to understanding the client experience that user debugs and RF telemetry do not provide by themselves.

Many things that are problems in wifi contribute to other existing issues, but do not by themselves create an issue.  TAC will remove clientmatch as a way to take it out of the equation to make contributory issues more obvious.  Here is a list of things you can check:

- Is my RF utilization on that access point under 20% on both bands when few if any users are on it?  During production hours does my utilization show more receiving or transmitting?

- Is my RF noise in the -80 range at any time?

- Remove things that influence client behavior like Local Probe Response Threshold and Cell Size Reduction

- Make sure your access point is min and max TX are at 12 and 18 to match the power of clients that would be connecting to it.

- How many access points can I see on the same channel as my access point with an RSSI of over 20 when I run the command "show ap arm state ap-name <name of ap>"?  What is their transmit power?

- Is drop broadcast and multicast enabled on ALL Virtual APs in your AP group so that stray broadcasts and multicasts do not add additional traffic to your network?

- On my client, how many access points can see on the same ESSID and can I roam to them easily?

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
New Contributor

These are mainly Windows 7 machines.  Machine authentication is turned on.  Most times they are able to login fine.  The profiles are new, as the machine is wiped clean when the PC is restarted via Deep Freeze.  We have seen the issue crop up on highly utilized AP's as well as ones with low utilization.  

The approximately 5-10 minute timeframe is not them waiting for it to login.  It is the machine not being able to authenticate itself on the GPO configured wireless network, as the user receives a no logon server available message until it clears up.  Reboots do not seem to affect it.  Eventually they are able to login as normal.  However, there are also issues of disassociations during sessions.  The only observable behavior I have noticed on the client side, is that the machine has a DHCP lease, but the lease timer is way off.  A release and renew usually will get them connected again, with a correct lease and the same IP, but the other issue of logging in still exists.  

Guru Elite

Pmauretti,

There are a few things at play in your setup. The most important thing is when does your computer even attempt to machine authenticate to the wireless network. Nothing can happen until then...

If the machine has a slow bootup or does not attempt to connect to the network, no logon servers will appear and there is nothing that we can do.

The question is, is this problem pervasive and when it happens, has the computer already logged into the wireless as a machine? If yes, how do you determine that?

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
New Contributor

Other than watching the monitoring in real time when a report comes in, I have been basing it on a machine successfully booting up and the person being able to login 95%+ of the time, so that I had always assumed all was well on the configuration portion of it.  I may be assuming too much, but the machines did not seem to have an issue until recently.  These are different models of PC, with different nic cards, in different buildings and all.  All running Windows 7, though.

I know machine authentication is enabled, as a computer will present itself in the console as host/machinename when it does, and I see the appropriate role.  I haven't been lucky enough to see whether it is in a proper state as the issue is happening, unfortunately, as the reports do not get to me quickly enough.  The one time I saw the issue myself, foolishly I did not check the console to see what it showed up as.  

I will try to recreate the problem to get more diagnostic information.

New Contributor

I now also remember we had to adjust our 802.1x High and low watermarks, but I don't remember why.  We were seeing a lot of Throttling occurring before the adjustments.

I previously stated we're happily running 6.3.1.5 but it has just come to light that our Field Technicians all received new Macbooks last month and many of them are complaining of getting disconnected from one of our two 802.1X networks. I have to gather much more information still, but I believe they are experiencing this on MacOS. I have not heard complaints of Windows dropping connections.

Guru Elite

Jkotch,

Is there any way you can be more specific about what parameters you had to change and in response to what?

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: