Location Services

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

Notifications and campaigns with Meridian Editor, BLE but no wifi

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Notifications and campaigns with Meridian Editor, BLE but no wifi

Posted Jul 06, 2020 08:02 AM

Good day!

I want to present some scenarios and see if they are correct and work the way I have understood them.

I  just need to send notifications to a meridian powered mobile app.

1) In order to do that I need:

a) Aruba BLE beacons

b) JZ095AAE Aruba meridian campaigns

c)Beacons App

2) I position physically the beacons in a store and configure them with the beacons app

3) I integrate using the sdk the meridian campaign capability to an existing customer mobile app.

4) I create a maples campaign in the meridian editor and that campaign is sent to the mobile app.

5)I associate the beacons I want with the campaign.

6) The user downloads the app.

7)The app has stored the notification

8)The user passes by near a beacon associated with the campaign.

9) the beacon communicates with the app in the phone.

10) The app in the phone gets triggered and pushes the notification so that the user sees it.

a)How does the mobile app communicates with the meridian editor?

b)How do I associate a beacon with a certain campaign? Since the meridian editor does not communicate with the beacons without wi-fi?

• 2.  RE: Notifications and campaigns with Meridian Editor, BLE but no wifi
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2020 03:57 AM

Please use your local Aruba Sales team to get your Bill-of-Materials validated.

To answer the two questions:

a)How does the mobile app communicate with the meridian editor?

The mobile device needs to have internet connectivity, which can be wireless or cellular (3G/4G mobile data).

b)How do I associate a beacon with a certain campaign? Since the meridian editor does not communicate with the beacons without wi-fi?

That is where you use the Beacons App. The Beacons App communicates with the Beacons and programs them during the provisioning. It then sends the results to the Meridian platform. The Mobile App on the end-user device gets the information again from the Meridian platform and when a beacon is seen Meridian triggers a pop-up message through the SDK.

Note that the beacons just broadcast (or beacon identifiers (UUID, major/minor); the end-user devices receives those and decides what to do. That is single direction traffic, and that is why the beacons don't need management. Having management through Aruba APs is a big benefit as you can monitor constantly if beacons are still present, broadcasting and have enough battery (for battery powered beacons); but it is not required after provisioning with the Beacons App. You can also use the Beacons App to collect beacon status like battery level, if you are in proximity of the beacons.