Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave and Connected clients

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  AirWave and Connected clients

Posted Sep 28, 2018 04:35 AM

Hello everyone,

Maybe a stupid question with a very simple answer, but I cannot find the solution ;-)

Scenario: I have an AOS switch with wired clients. Clients are authenticated via 802.1x or via MAC against ClearPass. ClearPass pushes a downloadable user-role back to the switch. This is working without any problems.

AirWave is used for monitoring and I would like to see the connected clients on the switch. The switch has multiple clients, like printers, thin-clients, VoIP phones and Aruba AP's connected. Some are authenticated via 802.1x (like the printer and Aruba AP's) and some via MAC auth. 

I have a provisioning profile configured for the Aruba AP, so they are authenticated via 802.1x. All AP's use the same username/password combination which matches a local user account in ClearPass.

I notice that I see all connected clients in AirWave, except the Aruba APs. I added a screenshot from the connected clients in Airwave (amp-connected-clients.png) and I added a screenshot from the output from the command "show port-access client" on the switch (switch-port-access-client.png).

So I am wondering why I don't see the Aruba APs as connected clients in AirWave???

• 2.  RE: AirWave and Connected clients
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2018 09:13 AM

So if I'm understanding the question right, you're asking why the APs aren't showing up under the switches connected clients?  The APs that are directly connected to the switch should appear under the neighbors table just below connected clients.  You should also see that if you navigate to the AP, the upstream device on the info line shows the switch it's connected to and port.

• 3.  RE: AirWave and Connected clients

Posted Sep 28, 2018 10:51 AM

That is true and I see the APs when I navigate to Home >> Topology and add the AP under Filter. 

But as the AP is a "client" (in my opinion) I would like to see the AP in the connected clients' table....

• 4.  RE: AirWave and Connected clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2018 11:34 AM

I do see your point, and will definitely bring it up in my next mtg with the PLMs.

As I look through the backend code, I see several hooks based on device/client type that differentiate the data gathering path - mostly due to different devices behavior/response to probes and requests.  This may be one of the reasons for the separation in the UI.  We can directly communicate with the network infrastructure, but have limited visibility of the clients beyond what the switches/controllers/APs know.