Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave 8.2.7 How to delete device backups

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave 8.2.7 How to delete device backups

Posted Oct 09, 2018 11:32 AM

I'm new to Aruba Airwave and trying to setup an airwave for a customer. It's a small evironment with about 11 switches/stacks and no APs.

Playing around with the GUI I created some manual device backups. Now I want to get rid of them. But how??

Second, related issue is how to configure daily automatic backups. For example, switch backups on or off. Or choose filename.

What I found under AMP Setup -> General -> Device Configuration -> Archived Device Configurations is the number of retained backups -- so my current understanding.

I found some older community articles, but they don't work any more -- no root access.

Best regards, Martin

• 2.  RE: Airwave 8.2.7 How to delete device backups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 11:21 AM

The config backups are pretty small, so there's no real need to clean them up.  If it's something you really need to do, then it could be done through a support case, otherwise it could be a feature request to add some sort of saved backup mgmt.  They'll age out over time.  The setting for backups is per group and can be found on the group's basic tab.

• 3.  RE: Airwave 8.2.7 How to delete device backups

Posted Oct 10, 2018 12:22 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm not afraid of short space.I just like to tidy up after playing around, for example showing a customer the compare feature. So I'll try my best and open a feature request to get a delete button beside view, edit and restore.

Regarding the second part of your reply: I go to Group->List and choose a group, i.e. "switches". Next I click on Basic. But on the page that opens, I do not find any configuration item regarding backup. What am I doing wrong?

Best regards, Martin

• 4.  RE: Airwave 8.2.7 How to delete device backups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 12:57 PM

I know how you feel about leaving remnants, I'm the exact same.  My method is rolling back to an earlier snapshot, but that's less possible when it's a production setup instead of a test lab setup.

================

I'll expand more on the 2nd part.

AMP Setup -> General -> Historical Data Retention -> Archived Device Configs = count of configs kept (clean up happens at nightly maintenance)

AMP Setup -> General -> Device Config Audit Interval -> this governs the periodity of Audits, each audit has the potential to create a new backup config if there are changes

*ignore backup interval since that's the complete AMP backup interval

Group -> select group -> Basic -> Aruba -> Archive Controller/Switch Backups = yes/no

This is the flag that enables keeping backups for the devices in that group tree.  When this flag is set to yes, the backups kept are only if there's been a detected config change at audit time.  And they get pruned to the config count that's in AMP Setup

There's a feature request out there to take the backup no matter if there's config changes or not, but it'd need more votes to make it happen.