Network Management

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave issue with Controller IPs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave issue with Controller IPs

Posted Nov 20, 2017 04:58 AM

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help with an issue on Airwave.

Firstly, the background is that we have just finished reconfiguring/upgrading our systems to offer 2N controller resiliency that comprises 12 locals controllers and 2 masters split over two data centres (6+6 and 1+1)

We are now running LMS/ Backup LMS (and HA won’t work on our network arrangement) on AOS 6.5.3.1. We have the following example addresses on the local controllers:

VRRP for masters xxx.xxx.10.1 (only VRRP)

Master controller IP xx.xxx.10.2

S/Master controller IP xxx.xxx.10.3

Example local a-1

Controller IP xxx.xxx.10.68

Wired LMS xxx.xxx.10.69

LMS xxx.xxx.10.70

Striping IP xxx.xxx.10.71

We have similar setups on all 12 locals (6 in data centre A and 6 in data centre B). The above addressing scheme was ‘approved’ by TAC and we did not introduce loopbacks as they told us this was legacy.

The issue we are having is with Airwave, 8.2.5. We reconfigured Airwave to talk to the reconfigured masters and locals from the old configuration which had a completely different addressing scheme. We set the device IP address under APs/Devices/Manage to be the controller IP. Which all worked fine. Unfortunately, overnight, the IP changes itself from being the controller IP to the striping IP (example above), which I cannot understand.

Even if we change the IP back, it then changes itself again overnight. We have ‘scan for new devices’ scheduled to run overnight at 2am and wonder if this is when the change happens.

One thing we did note when configuring the controllers is that the only way of adding extra addresses to the controllers was to add them via VRRP, even if we are not using VRRP, which seems an odd way of having to configure things.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alexander

• 2.  RE: Airwave issue with Controller IPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2017 05:01 AM

Without knowing the details, if you think the GRE-Striping Address is the problem, you should figure out how to remove it.  The GRE-Striping address is designed to allow more than a gigabit of traffic to flow through an access point, but that can only happen in limited circumstances.  The unfortunate side effect of striping is complexity and the occasional corner case that does not allow you to deploy successfully.

Is the gre-striping-ip crucial to your setup?

• 3.  RE: Airwave issue with Controller IPs

Posted Nov 20, 2017 05:51 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

We do use striping IPs as we have quite a large number of dual linked access points. These are in use in high density areas, or areas that have larger than normal traffic volume (we have quite a large deployment with all kinds of usage scenarios).

One of Aruba's systems engineers did advise us that not many people actually utilize the striping function and offered smart rate as an alternative. But we have lots of 22x ,27x and 32x on dual links rather than the 33x series, which supports the smart rate feature (and not all of our switches are Aruba/HPE either)

Best wishes

Alexander.

• 4.  RE: Airwave issue with Controller IPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2017 05:56 AM

Got it.

Let's focus on this:

" We reconfigured Airwave to talk to the reconfigured masters and locals from the old configuration which had a completely different addressing scheme. We set the device IP address under APs/Devices/Manage to be the controller IP. Which all worked fine. Unfortunately, overnight, the IP changes itself from being the controller IP to the striping IP (example above), which I cannot understand"

1.  Did you try to just remove all of the information from Airwave and start over or:

2. Is it possible to stand up another Airwave server with a demo license in parallel and add those devices again to see if you have the same results?

• 5.  RE: Airwave issue with Controller IPs

Posted Nov 20, 2017 09:46 AM

Partially:

We have about 5000 APs spread across 200 or so institutions in the University (and a dread to think how many buildings). As such we have quite a complicated folder hierarchy in Airwave. So I didn’t want to remove those as it would take me a week to re-input them!

However, I did delete all 14 controllers (locals and masters) and renter them as new devices from scratch (I also created new groups to be doubly sure). When I previously mentioned that I changed the IP under the manage device page, I should clarify thats because I noted it had changed itself to the wrong IP.

Re the second server, I’d need to speak to our server team and get some demo licences but yes we could do that.

Thanks

Alexander.

• 6.  RE: Airwave issue with Controller IPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2017 09:59 AM

Let us know how it goes.

What are you using device scaning for, rogues?

• 7.  RE: Airwave issue with Controller IPs

Posted Nov 22, 2017 04:13 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

Let us know how it goes.

What are you using device scaning for, rogues?

Sorry, misuse of terminology on my part there. I mean't on the device setup/ discover page there is a scan set that scans for devices on a particualr network.

Alexander