Network Management

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba and Cisco trunk

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Aruba and Cisco trunk

Posted Feb 18, 2020 04:13 AM

Hi, 

Infact I'm having a problem two configure a trunk port voice and data on aruba.

Here is my config:

Cisco Switch (Uplink to Aruba switch)

interface GigabitEthernet0/7
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 5,10,20,100
    switchport mode trunk
    srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
    queue-set 2
    priority-queue out
    mls qos trust cos
    auto qos voip trust

Aruba switch:

vlan 5

tagged 1,24

vlan 10

tagged 1.24

vlan 5 - voice

vlan 10 - data

With current configuration, phone keeps on registering and provisioning.

When I untagged a port on vlan voice, phone gets registered but when tagged it won't.

I guess it's a problem with CDP.

Can you guys help.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Aruba and Cisco trunk

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2020 03:19 PM

Hi,

from my point of view, you need to tell the switch that VLAN 5 is your voice VLAN. Simply do this:

vlan 5
      name "Voice VLAN"
      voice
      tagged 1,24

the needed config is the voice command. The name is just added to make it clear for what the VLAN is for. 

afterward make sure, that LLDP and/or CDP (if needed) is enabled on the port. 

This should make the phone to reboot and use the VLAN 5 tagged.

Normally user traffic (clients behind the phone) are untagged. so it might make sense to use VLAN 10 untagged on the ports. But as I do not know your environment, this is just a guess. 

BR

Florian

• 3.  RE: Aruba and Cisco trunk

Posted Feb 19, 2020 03:45 AM

Thanks Florian 

I'll try to tagged the voice vlan and untagged the data vlan.

• 4.  RE: Aruba and Cisco trunk

Posted May 29, 2020 07:34 AM

Hi,

Suppose on port 1, I'll need voice and other vlans as well. On aruba I can only untagged ports on only one vlan. For example:

If I untagged port 1 on vlan 20 then i do same on vlan 30, it will remove the untagged port on vlan 20 and will keep it only on vlan 30.

So in that case, what can be done ?

• 5.  RE: Aruba and Cisco trunk

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2020 01:33 PM

multiple untagged VLAN's on a port can only work with authentication. Without authentication, how should the switch determine which mac address t put in which VLAN? 

With authentication, you can have multiple VLAN's untagged on the same port. The VLAN is assigned during authentication and the switch knows which MAC address should be sent into which VLAN. 

BR

Florian

• 6.  RE: Aruba and Cisco trunk

MVP GURU
    Posted May 29, 2020 05:10 PM

You can...provided that one (and only one) VLAN id is used for untagged traffic from/to the connected host and the others VLAN ids are used for tagged traffic (typically that is the approach used for handling "voice" VLAN) from/to the very same connected host...it clearly requires that the connected host is "VLAN aware" (and it is configured to be that).

Generally - speaking about VoIP on LAN - a VoIP Terminal does so (via LLDP-MED)...so you can have a switch access port configured to be untagged member of a "data" VLAN id and concurrently tagged member of the "voice" VLAN id...the host connected could be a VoIP Terminal (to which - switched - it's connected an host PC). The VoIP Terminal will land on the "voice" VLAN id and the host on the "data" VLAN id.

Is that what you were looking for?

• 7.  RE: Aruba and Cisco trunk

Posted Jun 02, 2020 01:55 AM

Infact I have one of my user is directly connected to the core switch.

On his port, he have multiple VLANS (5,10,20). If I use below configs, do you think it will work ?

vlan 5

voice

tagged 1,24

vlan 10

tagged 1,24

vlan 20

tagged 1,24