Network Management

last person joined: 37 minutes ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:14 PM

I'm trying to configure an ArubaMM-VA  8.3.0.11 with SNMPv3. I've entered the commands below (parsed). It accepts line one, errors on line 2 midway through the IP address, accepts line three, but shows no SNMP user on the user table. Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated

snmp-server user "<username>" auth-prot md5 <password> priv-prot des <password>
    snmpwalk -v 3 -u <username> -a md5 -x DES -A <password> -X <password> -l authPriv <controller IP> 
    snmp-server host <host IP> version 3 <username> inform interval 5 retrycount 3 udp-port 162

• 2.  RE: Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:17 PM

What is the error?  Screenshot, please.

• 3.  RE: Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:28 PM

The error on line 2 is an "Invalid input detected" on the period of the second octet of the IP address. I believe this line is failing because I'm not defining what OIDs it should be reporting.

I'm a little more worried at it accepting line one and three but not outputting anything to the User-Table

• 4.  RE: Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:36 PM

This line?

snmpwalk -v 3 -u <username> -a md5 -x DES -A <password> -X <password> -l authPriv <controller IP> 

snmpwalk is not a valid command in ArubaOS..  That looks like a command for an nms..

• 5.  RE: Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:38 PM

Honestly:

You should only need line 1 to setup a user and line 3 to setup traps.

• 6.  RE: Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

Posted Mar 17, 2020 12:47 PM

That would make sense for line two. I'll have to find something else.

Line one still should be the line that adds the Username to the User-Table though, right?

Line two would've been for communication between the MM and the controllers if it was the correct syntax and line 3 designates the host. I would still expect the user-table to be populated after line one, no?

• 7.  RE: Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 01:20 PM

Yes for line 1.  It should be the username and password.  You have to save the configuration (write mem) for it to be valid.

Forget line two, it is not valid.  The MMs and MDs use a separate method to communicate independent of that.  Again, please forget line 2

Line three is for sending traps, to an external NMS.

So that I am not answering questions wrong, what exactly are you trying to do?

• 8.  RE: Configuring Aruba MM v8.3 w/ SNMPv3 (CLI)

Posted Mar 17, 2020 01:26 PM

I am trying to configure the MM for SNMPv3 communication with an external portal. After saving I did see them populate the User Table. Since many of the commands were similar to Cisco I was operating on the assumption that merely entering the commands would've done this.

So far so good. Thanks for that!