Network Management

Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

Going from 1 AMP to 2 AMPs + Glass

Hello,

We'll soon be retiring our single AMP server (SuperAMP!) and are migrating to two Aruba AMP appliances plus a Glass appliance. We have  a dozen controllers running 6.4.4.16 and around 5600 APs.

I have the two AMP appliances built, licensed and ready to go. As soon as I introduce a controller the APs will start being dsicovered.

Before I discover anything I'm wondering what the best approach is. Do I configure amp primary-server for newamp1 on half the controllers and for newamp2 on the other half? What about the master? Once I discovery that don't I end up with all of the APs? We tried discovering all APs on a single newamp but that killed it. We need to keep the number at around 4k devices per appliance.

Any advice on how to split APs across the two AMP appliances before introducing Glass would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

MVP Expert

Re: Going from 1 AMP to 2 AMPs + Glass

Glass acts similar to Master console. So you will be getting data from al the primary amps on Glass.

Since you have 5K+ devices i would suggest spliting them equally between both the primary server. Also, make sure we have good server spec for handling the devices.

Regards,
Vishnu
If my post helped you, don't forget to give kudos ;)
Regular Contributor I

Hi Vishnu,

I worked with TAC when one of our Aruba AMP appliances devices experiences performance issues. They informed me each appliance is spec'd for no more than 4500 devices. Hopefully splitting (roughly) the devices across the two appliances should not be an issue performance-wise.

To split devices I was going to add the statements below to each local controller.

mgmt-server type amp primary-server [amp1 or 2] profile default-amp

snmp-server host [amp1 or 2] version 2c xxxxx udp-port 162

One question, if I point the master controller to one of the Airwave appliances will it disover all my APs? Or are the command statements above sufficient to isolate which AMP each controller's AP lands on?

Mike

MVP Expert

Hi Mike, Splitting the devices should take care of performance issue assuming you have the specs for 2500 devices.

The 2 commands you mentioned are one for sending AMON feeds and other to send the SNMP trap. 
To get the device up on Airwave we have to configure snmp community string on controller and add the controller on Airwave providing the community string under Device setup --> Add. One the device is added to a particular group and folder you will see APs associated under that controller in the new device list on Airwave.

Amon feed comes to picture post the device comes up on Airwave using SNMP. Also, you would have to enable prefer AMON vs SNMP under AMP setup --> General for Airwave to receive the AMON data.

Regards,
Vishnu
Regular Contributor I

Hi Vishnu, I do have the snmp community string configured on the controllers and split the amp appliances so that half the controllers are pointed to amp1 and the other half will point to amp2.

I know that if I add a local controller to one of the AMP appliances the APs associated with that controller will populate on that AMP. I have two questions:

1. If I add the master controller - which has no local APs on it - to one of the AMP appliances do all of the local devices get discovered automatically?

2. Which is the preferred method of data feed AMON or SNMP? On our aging production AMP we are using AMON.

Thanks for your assistance!

Mike

MVP Expert

1. If I add the master controller - which has no local APs on it - to one of the AMP appliances do all of the local devices get discovered automatically?

Adding the Master controller can get the local controller under it discovered however not APs assuming it uses the same community string. Else, you can use the discover method on Airwave to discover all the devices on Airwave,

2. Which is the preferred method of data feed AMON or SNMP? On our aging production AMP we are using AMON.

Amon is preffered

Regards,
Vishnu
Regular Contributor I

Hi Vishnu, I added the master controller on amp1 and all the local controllers were discovered. On the controlller side I configured snmp for (only) amp1 on half of the controllers and for (only) amp2 for the other half.

Does it makes sense to Ignore the controllers that were discovered amp1 but that I plan to point to amp2? And add the discovered controllers on amp1 that I wish to remain on amp1?

Thanks,

Mike

MVP Expert

Yes you can ignore them. Anyway since the community string is configured only on desired controllers(which needs to be on amp1) other controllers won’t come up even if u add them since the string is not configured.

On Amp2 you would have to either do a snmp discovery for rest of the controllers or add them manually since u already have the master added on amp1.
Regards,
Vishnu
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: