Network Management

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

Posted Apr 20, 2012 08:38 AM

Hello,

We are currently doing a restore of Airwave to a server that has a fresh Centos install on it.  We started the restore approximately 13 hours ago and it is still going.  There is no progress bar to tell us the status.  Tech support said that it would take over a day.  Has anyone ever had any experience with this?  The processes are hanging at 0 percent which has us concerned.  We hate to bail out of it at this point and lose the 13 hours that we have in it.  Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  RE: How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 11:58 AM

What point is the restore at right now?

What version were you going from and to?

Were you converting from 32bit to 64bit?

• 3.  RE: How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

Posted Apr 20, 2012 01:44 PM

To answer your question too, Yes, we are going from 7.3.8 (32bit) to 7.3.8 (64bit) version.  It looks like it is just hanging at this point because processor usage is at 0%

• 4.  RE: How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 12:25 PM

You can tell if the restore process is still running with this command:

# psg amp_restore

If that command returns nothing, then the restore has stopped and should be restarted.  If you see that it is running, then it's just taking a long time (because it's unzipping/untarring a lot of data).

Pro tip: the amp_restore script should always be run in a screen session.  If you need to restart it, I would do this:

# screen

# amp_restore -d </complete/path/to/file.tgz>

• 5.  RE: How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

Posted Apr 20, 2012 01:41 PM

We did run the PSG command and it does show the process.  Our worry is that the cpu usage is at 0 percent, so it does not seem like it is doing anything.  Can I ask what the "screen" does?  I'm not sure what that command is.

• 6.  RE: How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 02:46 PM

screen creates a multiple window feel at the shell.  http://linux.die.net/man/1/screen.

I'm not surprised that there's close to 0 cpu usage.  When all the files in the backup are being unpacked, the disks are expected to be heavily utilized, and cpu not utilized.  

• 7.  RE: How long does 22gb Airwave Restore take?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 03:09 PM

So, you could run an "iostat -x 1 60" to see the disk utilization. That is iostat plus extra info doing 1 sample per second for 60 seconds.