Network Management

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to sift through Airwave syslog through the CLI or download it?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Is there a way to sift through Airwave syslog through the CLI or download it?

Posted Mar 19, 2015 03:10 PM

I have a large amount of syslog events ( 121,157,336 Device Events)

The Airwave is underperforming so sifting through the UI is a pain (we are taking care of that).

Can I get something from the DB or in a log file somehow?

I need to get look at a certain date between a certain time.

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to sift through Airwave syslog through the CLI or download it?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2015 12:06 AM

hi Pasquale,

can do it from the shell, by making some sql queries directly against the device_events table.

Since this table stores traps and syslog, first filter against 'facility is not null' to sort the traps from syslog, then filter against time range

examples:

> Use 'limit' for doing initial testing of your query
    > use 'count(*)' to make estimate of output before generating the full output to avoid nasty surprises of 10000000 lines of output

Modify the below timestamp(' date and time ') to reflect the range you are interested in. 

> Test query to check the number of results
    dbc "select count(*) from device_event where facility is not null and timestamp between extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-19 00:00:00') and extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-19 02:00:00')"

> display first 5 results, plus convert the timestamp
    dbc "select to_timestamp(timestamp),* from device_event where facility is not null and timestamp between extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-19 00:00:00') and extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-19 02:00:00') limit 5"
    > display first 50 results, remove some fields, and truncate the syslog message down to 128 char to make it easier to skim dbc "select to_timestamp(timestamp), severity, substr(message,0,128) from device_event where facility is not null and timestamp between extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-19 00:00:00') and extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-19 02:00:00') limit 50"

*disclaimer* there may indeed be more concise and better ways to do the sql query, the above works, but is likely far from optimal :)

hope that's useful

-jeff

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to sift through Airwave syslog through the CLI or download it?

Posted Mar 20, 2015 01:35 AM
    Thanks Jeff, let me give it a shot as currently my "csv export" is still downloading at 12+Gb....:)

I'll report back

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to sift through Airwave syslog through the CLI or download it?

Posted Mar 20, 2015 01:57 AM

so running the query as follows

"dbc "select to_timestamp(timestamp),* from device_event where facility is not null and timestamp between extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-17 12:30:00') and extract(epoch from timestamp '2015-03-17 13:20:00') limit 5"

actually timed out my ssh session lol.