Network Management

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

New fresh Airewave install - can't add IAP from Instant Controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  New fresh Airewave install - can't add IAP from Instant Controller

Posted Aug 28, 2018 02:03 PM

Latest Airwave 8.2.7 and new Instant Controller with only two IAP. Airwave found the controller but the IAP don't show up. There is no usage log either.

In the "Devices/Settings" section the group reported the following error: 

Configuration: Unknown

(Settings not yet read from device)

The Instant Conroller config seems to be correctly collected but no matter we do there is no IAP reported.

All is fine from the Instant Controller side and it shows managed by Airwave. The group is in "Monitor-only mode". The Airwave server can communicate with the subnet where IAP are and vice-versa, there is no firewall between them.

IAP firware: 6.5.4.8

IAP models: IAP305 and IAP 315

What I'm missing?

• 2.  RE: New fresh Airewave install - can't add IAP from Instant Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2018 09:53 AM

Are the APs visible through 'new devices' link?  If not, double check the AMP Setup -> Auto Auth settings to see where new thin APs are placed.

If they still aren't showing - then you'll probably need to open a support case.  They'll need to check the state of communication between the VC and AirWave - having the VC stuck in audit makes me think a process may have halted in the background.  Is this on an AirWave appliance or VM?  What's the sizing of the setup?

• 3.  RE: New fresh Airewave install - can't add IAP from Instant Controller

Posted Aug 29, 2018 10:10 AM
      |   view attached

Hi rgin,

Only the VC appeared in the new device list. But not the IAP. The Auth Settings seems OK.

I saw this error line in the system log but can't tell if it's related. This error is log each minute: Internal Error: bad ap_group_id: <undef>

AMP runs on a VM with 2 vCPU et 8Gb RAM. It's a minimalist setup with only 2 IAP. We are just in the beginning phase and we don't care to restart from scratch. We are learning AirWave and for sure we only wan't to use Monitor-only mode. At the end arounf 70 IAP will be deploy.

• 4.  RE: New fresh Airewave install - can't add IAP from Instant Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2018 10:23 AM

I haven't had any good experiences with anything less than 4 CPUs.  My smallest setups are 4 CPUs, 8 GB RAM, 80 GB disk.

While I haven't seen that specific error, the code that generates the AP groups tries to run parallel children processes, so it's possible that one of those processes choked and didn't complete the group generation across all the necessary db tables.  Try deleting the VC and the group, then see if it regenerates them.  You'll likely continue seeing some of this behavior since we also pre-load much of the code to allow for better performance which explains the need for more CPUs.

• 5.  RE: New fresh Airewave install - can't add IAP from Instant Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 05, 2018 09:17 AM

I opened a support case and I would never found the problem by myself. Despite it's a really fresh install, it appears there was missing the default group. The aruba's support tech engeneer rebuild the Airwave database from scratch and everything works as expects now. The VC and the IAP are now visible.