Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Push AirWave Template to Group

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Push AirWave Template to Group

Posted Oct 24, 2018 08:27 AM

I'm trying to understand managing switches through AirWave.  What I have done so far:

Add one Aruba 2530 to a new Group in Manage mode.

Fetch the configuration as a Template.

Add a second Aruba 2530 that has a different config in Manage mode.

How can I push the template created from the first switch onto the second? The configuration for both says "Good" but only one matches the single template that currently exists for that group.

• 2.  RE: Push AirWave Template to Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 08:40 AM

Hi,

• Try add the switch to airwave group in montior mode which you want to use it as golden template. once device is added to newly created group , airwave will automatically fetch the template
    • once config shows good, set the device in manage mode  and add other device to same group in manage mode to which you want ot push golden template.

• 3.  RE: Push AirWave Template to Group

Posted Oct 24, 2018 08:49 AM

When adding a device in manage mode I receive the following warning:

"Devices added in management mode will have their configuration changed. 
    Aruba Technical Support recommends that you first add devices in monitor-only mode."

If I add the device in manage mode it will immediately have the template applied? 

Is there any way to compare the current configuration to the template within airwave before pushing the template?  

If I've already added the device in Monitor mode, changing it to Manage mode doesn't appear to apply the template.  Is there any way to do so besides removing the device and then adding it again in Manage mode?

• 4.  RE: Push AirWave Template to Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 09:02 AM

May I know version of your AMP.

adding device in manage mode will push the group golden template to switch, if it not doing any thing, check if their is any repair button popup in APs/Devices>manage or monitor page of switch in airwave to push the config.

In Group>Basic>Aruba/HPE officeConnect switch config>Switch configuration to Audit with set to Group Template. when ever you add new device in monitor mode airwave will audit template configuration with your switch running configuration, if config difference is there it will show mismatch and when we click on mismatch it will take you to page which provide compelte details of config mismatch.

• 5.  RE: Push AirWave Template to Group

Posted Oct 24, 2018 09:21 AM

AMP version 8.2.7

I see the "Switch configuration to audit with" which answers the question of how I can compare the current config against the template.  So I will change that to Group Template, add the device in Monitor mode and then I can work to bring the configuration towards the template. 

When I'm ready to push the template and move to Managed mode, I can change the device to Managed mode, at which point the Repair button does appears on the device Manage page.

This workflow is starting to make sense, but my test device doesn't seem to work correctly.  I click "Repair" and it goes through "Applying Configuration" then "Verifying Configuration" but as far as I can tell no changes are made to the device.

• 6.  RE: Push AirWave Template to Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 10:13 AM

After clicking repair button if config is not getting pushed then there is an issue with either template or switch itself.

Check your switch logs whether configuration is getting restore or failed.Generally if there is no supported lines in template, airwave will fail to restore the configuraiton.

• 7.  RE: Push AirWave Template to Group

Posted Oct 24, 2018 10:56 AM

Thanks.  Worked with TAC to discover that the issue was one switch had 16.0.7 firmware and an "ntp server-name xxxx" command, while the other switch was 16.0.4 which doesn't support ntp server-name.  

Additionally, I needed to enable the template push to non factory-default devices.