Network Management

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Time on Switch after reboot

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Time on Switch after reboot

Posted Dec 12, 2019 02:25 PM

Hi All,

I'm trying the code 16.0.10, which has the ability to boot up and remember the last known time. (was on 16.0.7).

What i'm finding is that the switch boots up with the time I manually set in order to get the switch close enough for NTP to synchronise.

for eg, if the date/time is 13/12/19 10:00am and I performed an upgrade yesterday at 8am, my switch will boot up today with a time of 12/12/19 8am.

• 2.  RE: Time on Switch after reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2019 05:29 AM

I assume you are trying OS version 16.10 (not 16.0.10). The feature you describe was added in 16.08.0002:

After the switch is power-cycled or rebooted, the switch system clock is now set to the last known good time rather than being reset to the factory default.

It's not fully clear to me what the last known good time would be, but I'd assume that is every time the NTP synchonises time, and from your experience, I understand it is when you manually set the clock.

If it is about getting NTP to sync quickly, have you configured the iburst command on your ntp?

ntp server 192.168.2.1 iburst

That will very quickly sync the time to that server on initial contact, even if that server is way off the local clock.

If you have ntp enabled and synced and find that after a restart of the switch the time goes back to your manual time set rather than a time set by NTP, please open a support case as that behavior does not match the description.