Security

New Contributor

Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

My company has installed Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager (CP-SW-VA for 10,000 devices) since Sept this year and the system informed that we have exceeded the 10K limit. We have a max user of 3000 daily but we do not understand how and why we exceed the limit.

How will ClearPass Policy Manager device count mechanism work under the scenariso below:

1) One device connects to the Wi-Fi network 5 times in a day, how many license does it consume?

2) Same 1 device connects to the Wi-Fi network under different user name, how many license does it consume?

3) In our setup, each user is allowed to connect to the W-iFi network with no more than 3 devices, how will this affect the licenses?

4) Can ClearPass Policy Manager whereby we can generate report that display:

(a) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network sorted by user?

(b) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network separated by SSID?

(c) how many decices connects to Wi-Fi network on a daily/weekly/monthly?

(d) top connected devices by authenticated user to Wi-Fi network grouped by SSID?

Thanks in advance!

Aruba

Re: Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager count device

For CPPM, the license count is for unique authenticating devices.

1) One device connects to the Wi-Fi network 5 times in a day, how many license does it consume?

2) Same 1 device connects to the Wi-Fi network under different user name, how many license does it consume?

3) In our setup, each user is allowed to connect to the W-iFi network with no more than 3 devices, how will this affect the licenses?

1 per device; so up to 3 in this case

4) Can ClearPass Policy Manager whereby we can generate report that display:

(a) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network sorted by user?

(b) how many devices connects to Wi-Fi network separated by SSID?

(c) how many decices connects to Wi-Fi network on a daily/weekly/monthly?

(d) top connected devices by authenticated user to Wi-Fi network grouped by SSID?

These reports are probably best provided by AirWave

------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
AMFX | ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

Contributor I

Along these lines, is the Configuration->identity->endpoints where the count of devices is used for licensing? If so, you can clear out these endpoints daily if you so choose. Is there a disadvantage in clearing the endponts daily if you're hitting the licensing limits?

Guru Elite

Miker,

It is baed on "Unique authenticating endpoints per day", and not the contents of the endpoints database.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Contributor I

Is there a way to see what clearpass thinks is my daily count? I'd like to see before I cross my limit so I can plan accordingly.

Frequent Contributor I

same here,

i got 3000 endpoints; but i dont know (besides to generate a report) how many people connected today.

Aruba

ClearPass 6.0.1 shows the consumed license count for each license in the Licensing screen.

Frequent Contributor I

time for upgrade :-)

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: