Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Certificate warning on Win10 when changing RADIUS servers

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Certificate warning on Win10 when changing RADIUS servers

Posted Nov 08, 2018 03:52 PM

While trying to migrate Aruba controller RADIUS authentication for an 802.1x SSID off of a Windows NPS platform and on to Aruba ClearPass, our Windows 10 users were prompted with the following error:

cert_error_new.jpg

My interpretation of this issue is that the user's stored certificate of the Windows NPS server is not the certificate being presented by ClearPass, so it warns the user something funny is going on.  MacOS users don't seem to be affected by this.

My question is whether this is a common scenario, and if there is a way to check the certificate being stored for an 802.1x SSID on a Windows device? I am not having much luck in identifying the stored cert that we "trust" on a per SSID basis.

• 2.  RE: Certificate warning on Win10 when changing RADIUS servers

Posted Nov 08, 2018 04:07 PM

Also to note the certificate being presented by ClearPass is signed by trusted CA's that the user laptop trusts.

• 3.  RE: Certificate warning on Win10 when changing RADIUS servers
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2018 06:21 PM

The CA certificate that you are checking/trusting should be part of the WLAN profile under "Validate Server Certificate".  If none are checked, it should accept Server Certificates issues by any of the CA Certificates listed.  Please see here for what others have done to deal with that message:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/541d1f31-3df9-44f4-8cad-6c916f98de22/windows-10-8021x-security-warning-due-to-kb4074588?forum=win10itprosecurity

• 4.  RE: Certificate warning on Win10 when changing RADIUS servers

Posted Nov 08, 2018 06:23 PM

Thanks Colin, much appreciated.  I found that article previously and was pretty sure that was the solution, but wanted to make sure the experts agreed ;)