Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

Posted Mar 14, 2019 04:40 PM

Hi guys,

I understand ClearPass is a multivendor NAC, and because it has more than 100 RADIUS vendor dictionaries, it has no problems related to 802.1X authentication with third-party wireless vendor devices such as Cisco, Ruckus, Fortinet and so on. But whan happens with features such as profiling, OnBoard and OnGuard? Does it have some problems with third-party vendors (only wireless, no switches)? There is no documentation about this. Does anyone have experience with ClearPass and third-party vendors and profiling, OnBoard and OnGuard?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2019 05:00 PM
    OnGuard runs in overlay mode so the only optional piece is support for RADIUS Dynamic Authorization.

Onboard has no direct dependency outside of captive portal redirection for enrollment (which is optional).

• 3.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

Posted Mar 15, 2019 10:17 AM

Hi guys,

So looking at your answers and other posts about this topic, it seems ClearPass is 100% compatible with third-party WLCs and you can get the same capabilities with Aruba and non-Aruba WLCs.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

Posted Mar 17, 2019 04:53 PM

I doubt that MPSK would work with non-Aruba WLCs.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong as I'd love to use MPSK in my customer's 4-vendor environment!

@fjulianom wrote:

Hi guys,

So looking at your answers and other posts about this topic, it seems ClearPass is 100% compatible with third-party WLCs and you can get the same capabilities with Aruba and non-Aruba WLCs.

Regards,

Julián

• 5.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2019 09:38 PM
    Aruba MPSK is a feature of Aruba controllers and IAPs.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

Posted Mar 18, 2019 09:11 AM
    Yes, MPSK is a feature of ArubaOS 8 and has nothing to do with ClearPass.

Regards,
    Julián

• 7.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2019 09:36 AM
    Not exactly true. It requires ClearPass.

• 8.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

Posted Mar 18, 2019 01:35 PM

Oops, I didn't know it...

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

Posted Aug 13, 2019 07:53 PM

Hi Community.

I have to deploy a ClearPass in a mixed environment, where the customer has many other AP&Controller vendors (Cisco, Ruckus, Alcatel, etc).

My customer is interested in deploying 802.1x, MAC-Authentication, Captive Portal for Guest Authentication and MFA, so Entry Licenses should be deployed.

What are the requirements of the other vendor APs and Controllers in order the CPPM could be integrated with them and deploy the features mentioned without problems?

Regards

• 10.  RE: ClearPass and third-party wireless vendor devices

Posted Mar 15, 2019 06:38 AM
    +1 for Tim.

As of profiling, it’s done via multiple methods and they are vendor agnostic.

Perhaps, DHCP fingerprinting profiling isn’t vendor specific. Same for subnet scans, OUI, web agents etc