Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass - check AD accountExpires attribute

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  ClearPass - check AD accountExpires attribute

Posted Jan 30, 2020 06:55 AM
      |   view attached

I would like to check the AD attribute "accountExpires". The value that CPPM uses has a strange format. I attached a screenshot of the value. The customer would like to block accounts (MAC auth from endpoints) which are expired.

Does anybody know how I can check if the accountExpires date compared to "now" is in the past? 

First I tried to match the attribute UserAccountControl, but that value doesn't change when the account is expired. It only changes when the account is disabled.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass - check AD accountExpires attribute
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2020 07:19 AM

Hmmm, I found the answer myself.

Just use the build-in Time Source filter "Current Time MS"..

STUPID ME!!!

• 3.  RE: ClearPass - check AD accountExpires attribute

Posted Mar 24, 2020 02:02 PM

Could you provide a screenshot of where to add the filter? Did you add an SQL filter to the Active Directory source? Or was this added to the time source filters?

Thank you,

Josue Ruiz

• 4.  RE: ClearPass - check AD accountExpires attribute

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 02:16 PM

Have a look at my setup.

I've also changed the LDAP search so that it will match either a SAM or the uPN

(|(&(sAMAccountName=%{Authentication:Username})(objectClass=user))(&(userPrincipalName=%{Authentication:Username})(objectClass=user)))

Also note the Microsoft time is different to Linux. It is based on a 64 bit number starting in 00:00:00 January 1st 1601 (although Pope Gregory XIII actually signed the creation of the new calendar (Gregorian) on October 1582 - go figure!) in 100ms steps.

To compare to the ClearPass (Linux) you will need to use [Time Source]:Now MS time - hence you can do logical comparisons .

Hopefully the other screenshots will help.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass - check AD accountExpires attribute

Posted Mar 24, 2020 03:01 PM

Ah! Thank you, that makes sense now.