Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass 6.8 to 6.9 upgrade issue

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Clearpass 6.8 to 6.9 upgrade issue

Posted Apr 11, 2020 06:47 AM

Hi, In my lab i wanted to test a clearpass upgrade from 6.8 to 6.9.

I installed the patch that i needed for upgrade:

Signature_0-1586601994904.png

So when i tried upgrading it from this page i get an error. Also, when i upload/import the tar file i get this error:

Signature_1-1586601994906.png

In the cluster upgrade screen there is also no file:

Latest ClearPass Upgrade image is not present. Download the image from Software Updates Portal.

Signature_2-1586601994913.png

So after some reading i found that i needed to copy/clear some dir's:

If you are upgrading on a reverted system (retrying an upgrade), you will need to replace the contents of certain directories first before triggering the new upgrade. 

a. Copying the contents of the /var/avenda/platform/store/updates/backup/* directory to the /var/avenda/platform/store/updates/ directory.
    b. Clearing the contents of the /var/avenda/tips/upgrade/db/* directory.
    c. Restarting the cpass-admin-server on the publisher (for more information, see Service Commands).

Can someone point me in the right direction to do this? It looks like i have no rights to do this. 

• 2.  RE: Clearpass 6.8 to 6.9 upgrade issue

Posted Apr 11, 2020 12:43 PM

Let me see if I can help you out here.

So firstly your trying to upgrade a cluster?

How did you download/upload/import the patch into your PUB?

Ity looks like you did an offline download and then tried to manually import the upgrade file, is that correct?

Side question, why not just download the upgrade file from the UI under Software Updates, its MUCH easier?

• 3.  RE: Clearpass 6.8 to 6.9 upgrade issue

Posted Apr 11, 2020 12:59 PM

Hi Danny, thanks for your response. 

So I first did the upgrade that was already in the update list. That upgrade failed. After that, the 6.9 upgrade disappeared from the list.

So after that I tried to manually upload it, and upgrade it. 

This is just a single server in my lab. So it's not a cluster with a publisher and subscriber. 

• 4.  RE: Clearpass 6.8 to 6.9 upgrade issue

Posted Apr 11, 2020 01:51 PM

OK, this helps.

So you didn't need the upgrade patch, that only needs to be installed if your upgrading a cluster AND your doing the upgrade with the cluster upgrade tool. Lets not worry about that.

Your not seeing data download as there is meta data in a download directory inhibiting you re-downloading the data. You need TAC support to clear out that meta data file so you can re-download.

On a separate track, why did the initial upgrade attempt fail, we need to get to the root of the initial failure else we might have a groundhog-day.