Security

Highlighted
Contributor I

Clearpass MSSQL connection credentials

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the windows authentication mode tot connect from clearpass to a Microsoft SQL server?

The customer server is only configured for "windows authentication mode", not for "SQL and windows authentication mode"

Screenshot_2.png

When I look in the manual it states: "

Select the ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) driver to connect to the database:

PostgreSQL

Oracle 11g

MariaDB

MSSQL

If you connect to a Microsoft SQL server using Integrated Authentication, the login username in the authentication source, formatted as either domain/username or UPN (User Principal Name), the following characters are supported:

Backslash ( \ )

At-sign (@)

Hyphen

Underscore"

But I'm not using Integrated Authentication. I would like to use windows authentication mode. Something like domain\username or username@domain.tld.

Both don't work for me. Clearpass gives me some obscure error about an invalid SQL statement. Windows event viewer is giving me an error: "Login failed for user 'domain\username'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only.

Hope someone can assist me or explain me the limitations,

With kind regards,

Rens Kluitmans

MVP Guru

Re: Clearpass MSSQL connection credentials

From what I have learned about MS-SQL in the past, Windows Authentication and Integrated Authentication are the same (link confirms that).

I don't have a live MS-SQL server to verify, but from the quoted documentation I would read that as soon as you format the username as domain\user or user@domain.tld, ClearPass should use Integrated/Windows authentication.

If that does not work as documented, please work with Aruba Support. Unless others on the community may have first-hand experience and like to share.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: