Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass root access?

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  Clearpass root access?

Posted Sep 09, 2019 09:45 AM

Hello,

I need to move our Clearpass VM from VMWare to Nutanix AHV but I require root credentials to do so for driver installation and migrating the VM. Is there any way to get access to the OS? appadmin does not seem to have the access I require.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Clearpass root access?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2019 09:47 AM

CPPM is a hardened security appliance. Shell access is not possible.

Also, Nutanix AHV is not an officially supported hypervisor and will not be supported by Aruba TAC.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass root access?

Posted Sep 17, 2019 09:07 AM

Are there any plans to officially support AHV in the future?

• 4.  RE: Clearpass root access?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2019 09:48 AM
    Unfortunately roadmap cannot be disclosed in a public forum. Please reach out to your Aruba account team.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass root access?

Posted Feb 27, 2020 03:51 AM

Hi,
    Clearpass don't boot because the virtio driver is missing.
    I was able to install a clearpass server following these steps (short version without control steps):
    - download the KVM version of Clearpass (in my case : CPPM-VM-x86_64-6.7.0.101814-KVM-RAW)
    - upload the raw file in the Nutanix images with DISK format
    - create a Nutanix VM (8 CPU / 8 GB RAM / 1st disk = RAW file ; 2nd disk = new 1000GB / 2 NIC)
    - boot the vm on a linux livecd (systemrescuecd)
    - chroot into the local disk

[root@sysresccd ~]# mkdir /mnt/chroot
    [root@sysresccd ~]# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/chroot/
    [root@sysresccd ~]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/chroot/boot/
    [root@sysresccd ~]# mount --bind /dev /mnt/chroot/dev
    [root@sysresccd ~]# mount -t proc /proc /mnt/chroot/proc
    [root@sysresccd ~]# mount -t sysfs /sys /mnt/chroot/sys
    [root@sysresccd ~]# chroot /mnt/chroot

- add the virtio driver in the kernel

[root@sysresccd /]# mkinitrd --with="virtio_blk virtio_pci" -f -v /boot/initramfs-3.10.0-514.26.2.aruba.el7.x86_64.img 3.10.0-514.26.2.aruba.el7.x86_64

- exit from the chroot and reboot the VM
    - tadam !

You probably need to adapt it according to your version.

Matthieu

• 6.  RE: Clearpass root access?

Posted Nov 03, 2023 10:45 AM

I struggled to find a recent article on implementing Clearpass KVM with Nutanix AHV.  I was able to get it working with mduporge steps above but a little modification.  

Here are the steps in which I was able to successfully deploy CPPM kvm on Nutanix AHV

1. Download and extract the kvm image you wish to install.  For me it was : CPPM-VM-x86_64-6.10.0.180076-KVM.raw
    2. Upload the disk file to Nutanix Images.   Go to Images, add image and select the .raw file you downloaded in step 1. 
    3. From Nutanix Prism Central select "Create VM"
    4. Name the VM ..."cppm-kvm"
    5. Under VM Properties set your CPU and Memory as per requirements.   https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.10/Installation-Guide/Content/InstallationGuide/SystemRequirements/SR-KVMRequirements.htm
      1. For me I deployed C2000V  -   8 cpu,  16G , 1TB
    6.  For CPU I chose 8 with 1 core per cpu, Memory 16GB
    7. Disks you need to attach two disks.  "attach disk":
      1. First disk:   Type: Disk, Operation: Clone from Image, Image:  The image you uploaded in step 2 should be listed and selected. Capacity leave default, Bus Type: important to change to IDE
      2. Second disk:  Type Disk, Operation: Allocate on Storage Container, Storage Container: your main storage container, capacity: 1000GIB (1tb) and Bus type: IDE
    8. Networks - Attach to Subnet 
      1. Add two networks interfaces and save 
    9. My settings look like this and yours may vary depending on requirements
    10. Choose Create VM.

Once VM created,  Power on the VM and go to Console.   Follow the on screen steps and choose the appliance model and go through the CPPM setup screens. 

All should be good...

Best of Luck!

Dave