Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

EAP-TLS + Authorization

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  EAP-TLS + Authorization

Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:25 PM

So my understanding with EAP-TLS is it doesn't very the user has an active AD account as part of authentication, it only looks at the validitiy of the certification.

Can you still pull the username from the certificate for authorization purposes? So we can still write policy that says "If user = memberof HR" assign VLAN 10?

• 2.  RE: EAP-TLS + Authorization

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:27 PM
    Yes, you can still use identity store data for authorization including checks for account status and group membership.

• 3.  RE: EAP-TLS + Authorization
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:33 PM

So during authentication is ClearPass somehow extracting the username from the certificate?

So a user could pass auth with a certificate, but if their AD account was deleted they may not get proper authorization (thus access reject)

• 4.  RE: EAP-TLS + Authorization

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:34 PM
    The username is based on the EAP identity (what you see as IETF:User-Name)

• 5.  RE: EAP-TLS + Authorization

Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:45 PM

Dug a little deeper and found this. 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.7/Aruba_DeployGd_HTML/Content/A%20802.1X%20EAP-PEAP%20Reference/EAP_PEAP_handshake.htm

This actually really helepd me understand EAP a bit better.

How is that outer identity defined by the supplicant?

I'm assuming with PEAP it would be based on if you're doing user or machine on the supplicant it would either know to use the username or the machine name?

• 6.  RE: EAP-TLS + Authorization
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:48 PM
    Most operating systems will pull the UPN or RFC822 name from the cert. Some will also allow it to be manually defined.

• 7.  RE: EAP-TLS + Authorization

Posted Apr 02, 2019 10:51 PM

Thanks! This was extremely helpful in making some things click before the ACCP tomorrow :) 

• 8.  RE: EAP-TLS + Authorization

Posted Apr 05, 2019 11:38 AM
    You may need to strip out the domain out of the cert CN in order to find the account in AD. For example, mobile devices enrolled in Airwatch had certs presenting 'user@domain.com' and I had to strip out the '@domain.com' in order to authorize based on group membership