Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

External Captive Portal - no IP address on user VLAN

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  External Captive Portal - no IP address on user VLAN

Posted Oct 21, 2019 11:09 PM

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to have an external captive portal if the controller does not have an IP on the user VLAN?

Recently testing on a system and the redirection did not work until I added an IP to the user VLAN, even though I had allow-tri-session nat enabled. Before this I was only using a IP address for the management VLAN (not 1) and  the cluster VRRP address.(currently version 8.5)

I had the external captive portal working on instant and instant does not have multiple IP addresses

Thanks in advance,

RK

• 2.  RE: External Captive Portal - no IP address on user VLAN
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 22, 2019 03:41 AM

Captive portal redirection is a layer 3 function and requires an IP address on the interface.

• 3.  RE: External Captive Portal - no IP address on user VLAN

Posted Oct 22, 2019 07:10 AM

Thanks James!

• 4.  RE: External Captive Portal - no IP address on user VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2019 11:36 PM

RKinsp, Captive Portal authentication is a L3 authentication and the Controller needs to communicate with the client over IP, e.g. to redirect the client to the external captive portal. But the IP does not need to be in the same VLAN as the client. It is recommended to have an IP in the client VLAN, because it makes everything easier. If you do not have an IP in the user VLAN, you need to make sure, that the client can reach the controller IP from the client VLAN, e.g using the main router or firewall. You also need to make sure, that you enable Allow tri-session with DNAT in the firewall settings:

IAP-VPN-Guest-Allow-Tri-Session

Hope this helps.