Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

How clearpass license count

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  How clearpass license count

Posted Jul 12, 2020 01:44 AM

As per below design,I run 802.1x and MAB in cisco 2960 with multi host mode. As per below design , how many license count do i need to buy ?

In machine 1 have 8 network support device .are connected to dump switch and dump switch connected to cisco 2960 switch port which are configured 802.1x authentication and MAB with multi host mode.I would like to count license needed for machine 1. it is enough 1 or it is need 8 license ?

clearpass.PNG

• 2.  RE: How clearpass license count

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 12, 2020 10:29 AM

Access licenses get consumed by each unique endpoint. So if 8 devices are being authenticated via 802.1x or MAC-Auth, that would be 8.

If you are using Multi-Host, only one endpoint authenticates, and then the rest get in (not secure) after it. This would be one license.

Multi-Auth mode would allow each to authenticate, using 8 licenses and being more secure. See below:

• Multi-Host is a valid solution if a power-user for example is using many VMs on his PC. After authenticating initially, all VMs can communicate with the network.
    • Multi-Auth is more secure because each MAC address accessing the network is controlled.

• 3.  RE: How clearpass license count
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 12, 2020 12:00 PM

Just to add to Dustin, all 8 devices need to be concurrently active as well for 8-licenses to be consumed.

Our licensing is based upon concurrent activity.