Security

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

How clearpass license count

As per below design,I run 802.1x and MAB in cisco 2960 with multi host mode. As per below design , how many license count do i need to buy ?

In machine 1 have 8 network support device .are connected to dump switch and dump switch connected to cisco 2960 switch port which are configured 802.1x authentication and MAB with multi host mode.I would like to count license needed for machine 1. it is enough 1 or it is need 8 license ?

clearpass.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How clearpass license count

Just to add to Dustin, all 8 devices need to be concurrently active as well for 8-licenses to be consumed.

Our licensing is based upon concurrent activity.

Best Regards
-d

ClearPass Product Manager

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Access licenses get consumed by each unique endpoint. So if 8 devices are being authenticated via 802.1x or MAC-Auth, that would be 8.

If you are using Multi-Host, only one endpoint authenticates, and then the rest get in (not secure) after it. This would be one license.

Multi-Auth mode would allow each to authenticate, using 8 licenses and being more secure. See below:

• Multi-Host is a valid solution if a power-user for example is using many VMs on his PC. After authenticating initially, all VMs can communicate with the network.
  • Multi-Auth is more secure because each MAC address accessing the network is controlled.

Dustin Burns
Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI
ACMX #509 | ACCX #1272 | ACSA | ACDA | ACEA | CCNP | CCDP | CCNA Wireless

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!
Highlighted

Just to add to Dustin, all 8 devices need to be concurrently active as well for 8-licenses to be consumed.

Our licensing is based upon concurrent activity.

Best Regards
-d

ClearPass Product Manager

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: