Security

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

How is the private key communicated to a client during the Onboarding process?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How is the private key communicated to a client during the Onboarding process?

Posted Mar 26, 2014 11:16 AM

Does anyone know how the private key gets communicated to the client during the Onboarding process with ClearPass? And is the private key communicated in an encrypted or unencrypted format?

• 2.  RE: How is the private key communicated to a client during the Onboarding process?

Posted Mar 26, 2014 01:15 PM

It depends on the Key Type setting within the configuration profile. The settings and how the key is transferred are detailed in the Clearpass Guest User Guide as below:

keytypes.JPG

• 3.  RE: How is the private key communicated to a client during the Onboarding process?

Posted Mar 26, 2014 02:50 PM

Thanks, David. So if we choose one of the 'created by cerver' options, is the private key embedded within the newly created client OnBoard certificate or is it transferred  via a TLS tunnel or a different method altogether?

• 4.  RE: How is the private key communicated to a client during the Onboarding process?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 04:33 AM

My understanding is that it is provisioned to the client by the Onboarding process over the HTTPS connection used for onboarding. I am happy to be corrected here if that is not the case.

• 5.  RE: How is the private key communicated to a client during the Onboarding process?

Posted Mar 27, 2014 05:15 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you. Thanks again!