Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?

Posted Nov 20, 2019 12:19 PM

Hi,

I have an Instant AP 205 as NAD and ClearPass as radius server. I have created WLAN with 802.1X PEAP Authentication. When I connect my domain PC it is connecting and everything working fine.

The problem is when I connect a non-domain laptop or mobile phone to the same PEAP-WLAN, they are also able to connect. I want only domain laptops to connect to the WLAN.

Is there a way we can force the only machine authenticated devices can go to user authentication and connect to the WLAN?

When I connect my mobile, what is happening is it is connecting through User authentication, so if I log in with a domain username and password it is connecting.

Is there a way to restrict only the domain pc's to connect to the network on 802.1X PEAP enabled WLAN using ClearPass and IAP?

I have already enabled enforce machine authentication on IAP but it didn't work.

I am attaching relevant screenshots below. I am primarily from Cisco background and In Cisco ISE in policy sets, we could set that only machine-authenticated device can go to the next step. Is there something similar in ClearPass?

Kindly help me to identify where did I made the mistake.

Thank You.

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?
    Best Answer

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 04:31 AM

What does access tracker show for user that's not supposed to be allowed but is?

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 08:13 AM

Hi Victor,

Thank you so much for your support and it does worked.

I have few questions just to clear things since im new to clearpass:

1) In step 4 we are creating a role 'Top-Domain-Device' to tie to the Endpoint Attirubte. What is the use of it?

2) Under Step 5a, on line 12 the role is given as 'ToP-Machine-Auth'. Is this separate role?what is the purpose of it?

Sorry if those are stupid questions. I didnt get the logic of above 2.

Cheers,

Janish

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 08:42 AM
    This is use primarily because the [Machine Authenticated} Tips roles is cached (The default cache timeout is 24 hours can you increase up to 1000 hours) and in the event the user logs in without performing a machine authentication and the machine authenticated cache expires then the logic won’t work , the attribute helps you with that scenario.
    Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 08:56 AM
    But you could argue it can be a security risk if the machine is not longer in the domain

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 7.  RE: Is there a way to block non-domain PC's from Connecting to our 802.1X PEAP Corporate WLAN?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 09:19 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks for your quick feedback.

Just to make clear things up how exactly does it help in that scenario when user try to login to a pc whose machine authentication cache has expired.

Also I'm attaching the 802.1X service which i created without any kind of role mapping. Without the role mapping my objective is still met which is non-domain devices cannot join the network.

What is the drawback of creating service without role mapping as I have done?

Can you please look at the service i created let me know if there is any problem because I need to make sure everything is okay before going into production.

Attachment(s)