Security

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

LDAP Authentication failed

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 04, 2019 06:56 PM

good morning everyone

Thank you very much in advance and I hope you can help me.

We currently have an Aruba controller and we want to authenticate through a captive portal that is connected to a Linux LDAP. The connection is successfully established but when we do the test with the aaa test-server pap testldap user and password command, the output of the command indicates that the authentication has failed.

See configuration and command output.
    Cordially
    Andres Felipe Lopez G

• 2.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 07:11 PM

Unless you have diagnostics on the ldap server to tell why it is not working, it is difficult on the controller side to tell why something is rejected, unfortunately.

• 3.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 04, 2019 07:20 PM

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately I have no control over Linux, I will request it and share it.

Cordially,
    Andres Felipe Lopez G

• 4.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 09:00 PM

What you can do, is connect to your LDAP server using something like LDAP Browser to ensure that you have all of your parameters correct.

• 5.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 04, 2019 09:06 PM

Yes, I have done it with several software, LDAPEXPLORER, JXPLORER, LDAP.EXE, and it connects well, but authentication fails with the controller.

Cordially
    Andres Felipe Lopez G

• 6.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 10:16 PM

Did you connect with a username and password, or did you do an anonymous browse?  Quite frankly, it would be much easier with radius if possible.

• 7.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 05, 2019 12:56 PM

Hello,

The connection was made with username and password, with a radius if it would be easier but the client refuses to mount a radius on his server.

Cordially
    Andres Felipe Lopez G

• 8.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 06, 2019 04:52 PM

good day

The client has already shared the LDAP server LOG. Is it possible to initiate a connection from the controller that does not use TLS?

LOG:

"[04/Sep/2019:16:07:15 -0500] EXTENDED RES conn=25374 op=0 msgID=1 name="StartTLS" oid="1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.20037" result=52 message="StartTLS cannot be enabled on this LDAP client connection because the corresponding LDAP connection handler is configured to reject StartTLS requests. The use of StartTLS can be enabled using the ds-cfg-allow-start-tls configuration attribute" etime=1"

thank you
    Cordially
    Andres Felipe Lopez G

• 9.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2019 08:46 PM

With your parameters, it should be in cleartext, so you might have hit a bug.  Ask the admin if they can run the LDAP daemon on port 389 (the default ldap unencrypted port) and change the Aruba Controller's LDAP port to 389, as well and retry.

• 10.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 09, 2019 03:36 PM

good day

We are validating with the LDAP server administrator the possibility of changing the port to 389, meanwhile I want to make a query, have you had the opportunity to make the connection between a controller and an LDAP server without having a radio server in the middle?

I want to rule out that it is possible or not, make this connection ...

Cordially
    Andres Felipe Lopez G

• 11.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2019 04:23 PM

Yes, but LDAP is only really good for Captive Portal.  If you use LDAP with 802.1x (encryption on wireless), you would have to install software (a supplicant) on most clients.  If you use Radius, you would not need LDAP to do Captive Portal or 802.1x

• 12.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 09, 2019 04:52 PM

Perfection, I am glad to know that it is possible, in my case I require it for captive portal.

I am still waiting for the administrator of the LDAP server, thank you very much for your help, I will be reporting the progress.

Cordially
    Andres Felipe Lopez G

• 13.  RE: LDAP Authentication failed

Posted Sep 12, 2019 12:28 PM

good day

I tell you that the provider that manages the LDAP service tells us that it cannot do the port change, the previous thing because of that service there are other applications that are currently operating in production.

I ask you a question, what I can understand is that the controller is trying to establish a TLS connection on port 1636, however, the LDAP service does not have it enabled and therefore the connection test cannot be established. If I am correct, is there any way to tell the controller not to initiate a secure connection?

What I see is that the controller by simply changing the port to 1636 thinks it is a secure connection, but it is not, and that is why the connection test fails. The problem is that if I change the port to the controller to 389, the LDAP service is listening for requests is through port 1636 and the connection would never occur.

Thank you very much for your help, I hope I can another way to make this connection

Cordially,