Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

Posted Aug 28, 2012 12:16 PM

Can anyone offer help or even an example of how to setup an Authentication source in ClearPass Policy Manager that points to an external Microsoft SQL database for a MAC Authentication service?

I have created a new Authentication source.

Set the Type as Generic SQL DB

I put the connection details of my MS SQL server into the Primary tab

The Attributes tab is the section I am very unclear about.

On the Attributes tab, I created one Filter called Authentication.

However, I have NO idea how to write the SQL query in the Filter query section. I know the name of my DB, table, and field that contains MAC addresses, but I'm looking for someone that might have a working example of an SQL Filter Query.

• 2.  RE: Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

Posted Aug 28, 2012 11:55 PM

I confess, filter query is not my strong suit either.  However, here is an example of a similar configuration using the PostgreSQL DB of Amigopod as the external DB used in CPPM.  Also, check pages 122-125 of the CPPM 5.1 User Guide.

Example:

Configure SQL Authentication source on CPPM

• Navigate to Configuration » Authentication » Sources
    • Click Add Authentication Source
    • Select Generic SQL DB.
    • On Primary tab Set Server Name to Amigopod IP address
    • Set Port number to 5432
    • Set Database Name to amigopod
    • Set Login Username and Password
    • Set ODBC Driver to PostgreSQL
    • Configure appropriate SQL filter, for example, the following is derived from the local user repository:
     SELECT password AS User_Password, CASE WHEN enabled = 0 THEN 225 WHEN ((expire_time is not null AND expire_time <= (select extract (EPOCH FROM now())))) THEN 226 ELSE 0 END AS Account_Status FROM useraccount WHERE username = '%{Authentication:Username}'

• 3.  RE: Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

Posted Aug 29, 2012 04:37 AM

You can try using something simple such as mentioned below for authentication filter,

select password as User_Password from pdb_user where username = '%{Authentication:Username}
    select * from pdb_user where username = '%{Authentication:Username}' 

The highlighted text mentioned above are specific to my SQL DB setup, you might want to change according to your DB Schema and table name.
    In the first line "password" mentions the column name, "User_Password" is alias and "pdb_user" is the table name. this might vary in your setup
    I've mentioned the above steps with MSSQL in mind. (make sure that ODBC driver is set as MSSQL in you authentication source settings)

• 4.  RE: Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

Posted Jul 16, 2014 09:49 AM

I'm in a similar position here. I'm running CP 6.3.3 and my external DB is MySql. I've written a number of stored procedures that I call from my freeradius (2.2.5) service to obtain, for example the vlan to drop a device into after a successful mac-authentication. In FreeRadius I'd do :-

update control {
    #
    # Tmp-String-0 = string representation of vlan id for given device type.
    #
                      Tmp-String-0 := "%{sql_master:CALL get_vlan_id('%{NAS-IP-Address}','%{User-Name}')}"
                   }

.... where control:Tmp-String-0 either contains 0 or a numeric VLAN string value. The SP

1) Determines the device type based upon the mac address stored in User-Name

2).Figures out the location based upon the NAS-IP Address of the switch

3).Figures out what vlan to return based upon the location/device type

4).Returns a string representation of the numeric vlan to be used.

Later on I'd do

update reply {
                         Tunnel-Private-Group-ID := "%{control:Tmp-String-0}"
                      }

Ideally I'd like to use my existing SPs in calls from clearpass. Can I do this? When I'm setting up the filter query, what would the format be?

Also, what clearpass attrributes do I use instead of the %{NAS-IP-Address} and '%{User-Name} arguments to pass to the procedure.

Rgds

A

• 5.  RE: Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2014 09:54 AM
    You'd want to build that logic into your enforcement policy instead of SQL queries.

In your custom SQL auth source, create attributes that reference the data in the database. You then use those attributes along with location and other CP data in the enforcement policy.

• 6.  RE: Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

Posted Jul 16, 2014 10:11 AM

o.k. Sounds reasonable, but that would mean reinventing something that I'm already using.  I'm currently running a production Freeradius  service and planning a gradual migration over to clearpass. The FR service uses stored procedures extensively and being able to use these in clearpass would simplify things greatly. Taking a step back, can I call stored procedures and process a returned value from it through the filter interface?. I'm happy to implement the same functionality in clearpass speak if I have to, but if i can use what's already there, I'd prefer to do that.

Rgds

Alex

• 7.  RE: Need Help with ClearPass and MAC Authentication using External SQL Database

Posted Mar 02, 2015 09:50 AM

Hi Toim,

Just as an update, I've implemented your recommendations .... seeing as I can't call stored procedures in clearpass :-((

Rgds

Alex