Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboard Deployment Options

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Onboard Deployment Options

Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:46 AM

Hi community,

In ClearPass we have two options for Onboarding:

• Single-SSID Onboarding: user connects their personal devices to the secure 802.1X SSID to do the onboarding, then connect back to the same SSID after onboarding.
    • Dual-SSID Onboarding: user connects their personal device to some provisioning SSID, typically an open SSID like a guest SSID. Next, they go through the onboarding process, and after onboarding, connect to the secure SSID using EAP-TLS.

We are going to use Onboard in my customer and we are interested on the single-SSID onboarding option, but I don't know if it will be possible for some reason. I mean, what do I have to consider to see if single-SSID is possible or otherwise I need to use dual-SSID?

Many thanks,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Onboard Deployment Options

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:48 AM
    Only dual SSID onboarding should ever be used. Using single puts users’ credentials at risk during the Onboard process.

Simply put a link on the bottom of your guest portal.

• 3.  RE: Onboard Deployment Options

Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:54 AM

Hi Tim,

Why single-SSID puts users’ credentials at risk during the Onboard process? In my customer people which is going to onboard the devices are corporate users.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Onboard Deployment Options

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:56 AM
    You’re using legacy, known vulnerable protocols to initially connect. This should never be done.

• 5.  RE: Onboard Deployment Options

Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:59 AM

Ah ok, I understand. Taking into account that, is there anything else which restricts the single-SSID option for onboarding?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: Onboard Deployment Options

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 11:03 AM
    Nothing else can be taken into account since you should never use single. Please, don’t do it.