Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).

Profiled Known endpoints cleanup option

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Profiled Known endpoints cleanup option

Posted Jul 30, 2019 06:26 AM

I recently had a TAC case that was not particularly enlightening. My initial request was as follows:

On 2019-07-12, some KNOWN clients where suddenly purged out of our endpoint repository. The cluster-wide parameters for cleanup intervalls were as follows: 

Cleanup interval for Session log details in the database: 7 days 
    Cleanup interval for information stored on the disk: 7 days 
    Old Audit Records cleanup interval: 90 days 
    Known endpoints cleanup interval: 90 days 
    Unknown endpoints cleanup interval: 30 days 
    Expired guest accounts cleanup interval: 365 days 
    Profiled Unknown endpoints cleanup interval: 30 days 
    Profiled Known endpoints cleanup option: TRUE 
    Static IP endpoints cleanup option: FALSE 

Examples for purged MAC addresses:

MAC            Added at   Cleaned up  Delta
    1458d0000000   07.03.19   12.07.19    127 
    40b034000000   07.03.19   12.07.19    127 
    e4b97a000000   08.03.19   12.07.19    126 

So, according to the User Guide here https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.8/PolicyManager/index.htm#CPPM_UserGuide/Admin/ServerConfig_clusterwideparams.htm#Cleanup the "Known endpoints cleanup interval" will be evaluated based on the "Added at" date. As it was set to 90 days and the delta was already 127 days that might not be the case. On the other hand the "Unknown endpoints cleanup interval" is oriented to the "Updated at" date.

According to TAC engineer the endpoints were cleaned because of the "Profiled Known endpoints cleanup option" set to TRUE. I assumed that this option will also use the "Known endpoints cleanup interval" and orientate on the "Added at" date. The User Guide is not very precise here.

TAC told me that the "Profiled Known endpoints cleanup option" will clean known, profiled endpoints every day and will orientate on the "Added at" date. That contradicts itself and is unlikely.

So, how is this option really working? Why were my endpoints cleaned up?