Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Unprintable characters in the password

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Unprintable characters in the password

Posted Sep 25, 2013 04:11 AM

Hi

I have a question regarding allowed characters in passwords. Is there any limitation in ClearPass or Aruba OS that do not allow language specific characters in passwords?

I have users in Sweden using Swedish characters åäö and ÅÄÖ in their passwords. Ok, that's maybe not what I would recomment, but these users are students in schools and have not yet understood the problems related to characters outside the american character set.

I get this error message in ClearPass Action tracker:

Error Code:
    Error Category:
    RADIUS protocol
    Error Message:
    Wrong shared secret
     Alerts for this Request  
    RADIUSEDUC - 10.1.1.5: Bind as user failed
    PAP: Authentication failed
    Unprintable characters in the password. Check the shared secret on the server and the NAS.

ClearPass is version 6.2.1

Best Regards

Jonas Erlund Hammarbäck

• 2.  RE: Unprintable characters in the password

Posted Sep 25, 2013 01:23 PM

Have you checked the shared secret on the Device entry in ClearPass and on the device itself.

I usually get that message when I mismatch the device shared-key -- I get a wholly different error with bad user-passwords.

• 3.  RE: Unprintable characters in the password

Posted Sep 26, 2013 03:02 AM

Sorry for not mention that information. Authentication for all other accounts with passwords without Swedish special characters works fine.

If I try with a bad password on one of the accounts thats authenticates OK, I get the normal bad password error message. It's just if the password has "unprintable" characters I get this strange error message.

Regards

Jonas

• 4.  RE: Unprintable characters in the password

MVP
    Posted Feb 17, 2016 10:19 AM

Had this same issue recently with 6.5.5 code trying to do admin login to Cisco switch via RADIUS request to Clearpass. Turns out the shared key on the switch was incorrect, same password but one letter was not captial when it should have been. Corrected it and everything worked fine, it had nothing to do with the actual user account that was logging in.