Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Whats the best use Clearpass Monitor Mode

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Whats the best use Clearpass Monitor Mode

Posted Oct 31, 2018 06:27 AM

I think I have miss-understood the use of monitor mode, 

I am enabling 802.1x on a network where the customers have little idea of what is connected on the edge. They would like to understand the impact of enabling and enforcing 802.1x, 

I have enable port-access security and eap and mac auth. 

The service in Clearpass is set to monitor mode, although the laptop is still rejected and has an un-auth state on the switch.

Have I missed something in my set-up or am I using Monitor Mode in the wrong way. 

I thought monitor mode always returned a success, even if the device itself failed. I couldn't find much info on Monitor Mode out there

Is there a better way of understanding what devices are connected to the network on the edge?

• 2.  RE: Whats the best use Clearpass Monitor Mode

Posted Oct 31, 2018 06:49 AM

It looks as if I should be using Profiler and Discovery

• 3.  RE: Whats the best use Clearpass Monitor Mode

Posted Mar 01, 2020 09:06 AM

Hello friend,

I too faced this issue. The service is in monitor mode but as soon as I enable 802.1x on the switch, the clients loose network access.

I mean the users are already authenticated and had network access before 802.1x was enabled. Why does it lose access when 802.1x is enabled on the switch? The CPPM is in monitor mode.

Were you able to find this out?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Whats the best use Clearpass Monitor Mode

Posted Mar 01, 2020 01:04 PM

Dear, 

What do you see in access tracker?

• 5.  RE: Whats the best use Clearpass Monitor Mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2020 04:25 PM