Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Why cache SQL auth source results for 10 hours?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Why cache SQL auth source results for 10 hours?

Posted Jun 02, 2015 05:38 AM

Here's a question for you:-

I needed to link our clearpass service into an existing quarantine solution used by our FreeRadius service. I did this by having a separate MySQL mac_address table with a field that identifies whether a device is quarantined or not and creating an authentication source that does "select count(*) from  .... where <mac address is quarantined>"

This returns a 0 if not quarantined  and 1 if quarantined. I then use this to set a Quarantine role which is used in my enforcement policy.

Problem is that there is a default caching policy of 10 hours on a generic SQL auth source ... 10 HOURS!

Why 10 hours? That's hell of a long time. I know you can change it for  a given auth source object, but a cursory glance at the default makes you think its 3600 seconds i.e. an hour

Rgds

A

• 2.  RE: Why cache SQL auth source results for 10 hours?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 02, 2015 05:53 AM

I don't think there is a specific reason why that is the default. The expectation is that you would change it depending on the use case.