Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows wireless GPO policy with User re-authentication as authentication mode

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Windows wireless GPO policy with User re-authentication as authentication mode

Posted Dec 21, 2012 06:04 PM

I came across this today at a client site and it baffled me. I have not seen this option before when creating a wireless policy in Group Policy. 

Win2008R2-wifiGPOabnormal.jpg

The only options this policy allowed me was; 

• User re-authentication (I am not familiar with this option)
    • User authentication
    • Computer authentication

What I am used to seeing is this; 

Win2008R2-wifiGPOnormal.jpg

The options I am used to seeing are; 

• User or Computer Authentication
    • Computer Authentication
    • User Authentication
    • Guest Authentication

Can anyone point out why the differences between two Windows 2008 R2 servers? 

I have been using "User or Computer Authentication" in the past and it has worked. Without that option will user auth fail if I choose only computer auth?

• 2.  RE: Windows wireless GPO policy with User re-authentication as authentication mode

Posted Dec 24, 2012 09:44 AM

are the settings under Protected EAP (PEAP) the same? might be there is a difference there which causes different options.

• 3.  RE: Windows wireless GPO policy with User re-authentication as authentication mode

Posted Dec 27, 2012 12:19 PM

I was under the impression that user "re-authentication" is the same as user or computer auth.  It should auth as the computer at the logon screen, and then re-auth as the user on login.

I have seen this in some MS documentation as well (the images/terminology) yet I have not been able to see it in my GPO settings (win2008 R2/win7,etc...)

EDIT: on second thought I bet this has to do with AD levels - we have a win2003 server still in our AD environment... I am wondering if the new GPO only shows with the higher AD level?