Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 04, 2018 02:15 PM

I've had a CPPM Guest configuration for a few months.  Today I saw a new iPhone X that receives this message when trying to connect:insecureform.PNG

Other iOS devices seem fine.  I can't immediately reproduce it, but it's consistent.  Ideas?

• 2.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 02:18 PM
    Ensure both the ClearPass and controller certificates are properly chained.

• 3.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 04, 2018 02:36 PM

The CPPM HTTPS Server Certificate is from a public CA, and botht he intermediate and root certs are installed. What controller cert are you referring to?  The only cert I'm aware of on the controller is used for the https management interface.  

The initial page itself validated just fine in the Apple CNA (and every other browser / device I've tested).  We have a checkbox to accept terms, and a submit button.  Pressing that submit button generates the error message I previously included.  

My understanding was that this form gets posted to "securelogin.arubanetworks.com" by default, per the "Address" field in the CPPM Guest Web Login configuration.  

• 4.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 02:51 PM
    Your controller needs a publicly CA-signed captive portal certificate.

• 5.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 04, 2018 03:12 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned - the authentcation is sent over HTTP.  Since it's all anonymous access this was an acceptable solution.httplogin.PNG

• 6.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 03:24 PM
    That’s exactly what the error is then. It is poor security practice to submit a form over HTTP, regardless of the contents. Apple is very strict on security.

• 7.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 04, 2018 03:47 PM

I suppose that's possible.  It's strange that it's only happening on one device so far.  Even other IOS devices on the same version are unaffected.

Still, HTTPS is best practice.  If I was going to use the wildcard method described here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/Web-Login-NAS-Address-configuration-options-in-single-and-multi/ta-p/275426 

I understand how to create the certificate, and what URL I should use, but where do I install it in the controllers?  I would guess it's installed at the managed devices node of mobility master as a "ServerCert" ?  There's no obvious way to associate a particular certificate with captive portal usage that I see.

• 8.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 03:50 PM
    You need one, single name certificate for all your controllers. A wildcard is not recommended. You can upload the certificate and set it as captive portal at the highest point in your hierarchy and it will apply to all nodes below it.

In ClearPass, you change the web login config to match the CN of the cert (network-login.yourdomain.com for example).

• 9.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 04, 2018 04:42 PM

There doesn't appear to be a captive portal certificate option:  certtypes.png

• 10.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 04:44 PM
    It’s a server certificate.

• 11.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 05, 2018 09:25 PM
    why is a wildcard not recommended? I recall when the secure-login cert was revoked and replaced with a self signed cert, there were a few articles suggesting using a wildcard that would get replaced with captiveportal-login.domain.com was a good approach.

#AirheadsMobile

• 12.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2018 09:31 PM
    Wildcards should be avoided in any scenario as there is a much higher risk for key exposure. Also, for this use case, you’re likely to spend 25x more on a wildcard than a standard, single name certificate which is all that’s required for captive portal.

• 13.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 06, 2018 07:54 AM

I'm not sure how other CAs do it, but Digicert allows separate private keys for each instance of the wildcard cert.  Every time I use it, it's a new key pair.  It's also not 25x the cost, maybe 2x.  Plus I can add new Subject Alternate Names each time, so I can ensure the SANs match the hostname, which is good enough for every browser I've tested.  The only one that throws this error is that iPhone X.

• 14.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2018 09:46 AM
    A standard single name certificate is $4.99/yr. A basic wildcard cert $74.88/yr (that doesn’t offer multiple keys). So around 6x the cost (yes I exaggerated).

Bottom line, you should avoid wildcard certs at all costs. The added risks are too high.

• 15.  RE: iOS: This form is not secure, CPPM Guest

Posted Dec 05, 2018 09:25 PM
    why is a wildcard not recommended? I recall when the secure-login cert was revoked and replaced with a self signed cert, there were a few articles suggesting using a wildcard that would get replaced with captiveportal-login.domain.com was a good approach.

#AirheadsMobile