Security

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

syslog export filters - --BEGIN-TIME-- and --END-TIME--

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  syslog export filters - --BEGIN-TIME-- and --END-TIME--

Posted Feb 05, 2015 04:51 PM

Hi,

I ran into something yesterday, and wanted to pick a few brains about it.  The sample SQL code for the syslog export filter in clearpass 6.3 has code along these lines:

select blaa from wherever where ((timestamp >= --START-TIME--) AND (timestamp <= --END-TIME--))

While testing, I bumped into a duplicate record in my syslog data.  My guess is that the record was cut EXACTLY at --END-TIME-- of one of the intervals.  Assuming clearpass iterates through the logs by setting the next START-TIME to the previous END-TIME, the example select logic is flawed, in that it's using ">=" and "<=", meaning that a timestamp right on the edge would be picked up twice.

I'm considering modifying my code custom export filter as follows:

select blaa from wherever where ((timestamp >= --START-TIME--) AND (timestamp < --END-TIME--))

(note removing the "=" on the end time test.)

Does this make sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree because Clearpass makes sure that END-TIME will never match the next START-TIME somehow, or that the START and END times will NEVER match a timestamp in the database?  If this does seem legit, then perhaps Clearpass should amend the sample SQL when you hit the link it offers.

Mike

Cornell University

• 2.  RE: syslog export filters - --BEGIN-TIME-- and --END-TIME--

Posted Feb 07, 2015 01:25 PM

Mike,

We did have some duplicate syslog message issues in 6.3. This was fixed in the 6.4 code.

Look in the release note for #23735, hopefully this is your problem.

• 3.  RE: syslog export filters - --BEGIN-TIME-- and --END-TIME--

Posted Mar 24, 2015 11:04 AM
    The key with the SQL used to generate syslog is to ensure that you don't generate multiple rows as a result of not specifying the inner table joins properly. This can generate multiples, let alone duplicates. Regards Chris