News

View Only
last person joined: one month ago 

Outdoor 802.11ac Wi-Fi that goes fast…and looks good while doing it.

By cgilby posted Feb 11, 2014 08:00 AM

We are continuing our Gigabit Wi-Fi leadership position with the announcement of our latest 802.11ac product today, the 270 Series outdoor access point family. This 802.11ac capable outdoor AP family that supports dual-band operation with 3x3 MIMO and 3 spatial streams consists of the AP-275 with integrated omni-directional antennas and the AP-274 with six N-type female connectors for external antennas.

270-series.png

While others in the industry are launching two stream 802.11n products, we are leading the way by introducing the first and only enterprise-grade outdoor 802.11ac product on the market. And we are doing it at price points that are below the competitiors' inferior 802.11n products with our new AP's being priced at $1,995 (AP-275) and $1,595 (AP-274) USD list.

It leverages the same core radio, CPU and memory design as our indoor 220 Series that is leading the way in Gigabit Wi-Fi performance as you can see in our recent performance reportWe are already seeing impressive performance outdoors in testing with throughput over 150Mbps even at ~85 meters from the AP.

ap270-galaxy-s4.png

This graph to the right shows our performance tests that were performed with the Galaxy S4 and the AP-275. Notice how the performance at 70 meters from the AP with our standards-based 802.11ac Explicit Transmit Beamforming is double that of the performance when we turned off this feature and re-tested!

802.11ac beamforming really does improve performance and the clients are out there today with over 200 clients already certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance and taking just one client, the Galaxy S4, there are already over 40 million of that device alone sold and deployed.

Given the pervasiveness of cellular DAS systems and the introduction of new LTE bands at 2.6 GHz, particularly in outdoor environments, our radio design integrates advanced cellular coexistence technology that utilizes filtering to minimize the impact from these interference sources and maximize performance.

What I think is most exciting beyond the performance is the innovative design that slashes installation complexity. No longer do you need to find installation technicians who are trained in RF. Now you can leverage the pool of installers who are competent with installing common outdoor products such as video cameras due to the simple design that mirrors that of a typical camera. We have cut the bill of materials from eleven parts down to just two parts – the AP-275 and a mounting bracket.  Even the orientation in the shipping box with the connectors facing upwards when you open the box shows how we have efficiency in mind. To mount the AP, just attach the Ethernet cable, slide the AP into the mounting bracket and insert two screws. This enables you to rapidly and cost-effectively roll out 802.11ac to your outdoor environments.

270_outdoor_comparisons.png

And have you ever been ready to kickoff your outdoor deployment only to have been blocked by committees or bylaws due to the obtrusive legacy outdoor AP designs that you are used to? This new outdoor AP has aesthetics in mind from the start and is designed to blend in with a similar look as other outdoor equipment such as video cameras and light fixtures.

With its impressive thermal design that enables fanless and heater-free operation from -40 to 60 C, we are able to assure reliable performance and have extended our limited lifetime warranty to this outdoor product to give you peace of mind with your investment.

Check out this video recording from Wireless Field Day 6 (#WFD6) for a great discussion of the technical details and design of the product.

You can find the product data sheet and ordering guide on our website.

18 comments

Comments

Nov 21, 2014 03:19 AM

Any dates for the upcoming Mesh support on ac AP´s ?

Sep 23, 2014 01:14 AM

Meshing is not in the current 6.4 release.  It's being worked on for a future release. 

Stay tuned. 

Sep 22, 2014 11:09 PM

I had an SE tell me that 6.4 was going to have support for 274/275 meshing but I dont see anything about this in the 6.4.2.0 or 6.4.2.1 release notes.  Anyone running 6.4.2 and might know anything about this?

Jun 03, 2014 04:23 PM

Any details on the 274 n connectors? orientation, spacing? Let's see the cover off of it.

May 10, 2014 04:09 AM

HI.. can AP-275 supports wireless mesh?

Mar 18, 2014 01:08 PM

dz0 - The AP-175 supports mesh today. For the AP-270 series, Aruba will be providing mesh capability via future software upgrade. Please contact your sales team for more details.

Shane - Sorry if it wasn't clear. We intentionally did not list 802.3af (instead stating 802.3at) since the

270 series requires eiher one of the following power sources:

• 802.3at / PoE+ power
  • direct AC power

Mar 18, 2014 11:34 AM

My sales guy just told me that these do not support meshing. Can someone confirm or deny that?

Mar 17, 2014 05:53 PM

Hello,

Can anyone clarify if the AP-270's are PoE or PoE+ devices?

The product page is ambiguous with one section reading:

• Maximum power consumption: 23 watts.
  • Direct AC source: 100-240 Volt AC
  • Power over Ethernet (PoE): 48 Vdc (nominal) 802.3at-compliant source

Then another:

• One PoE+ PD port 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet network interfaces (RJ-45)
    • Auto-sensing link speed and MDI/MDX
  • One port 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet network interfaces (RJ-45)
    • Auto-sensing link speed and MDI/MDX

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/access-points/270-series/

Does the device work at its full capability with PoE+ and reduced capability with PoE (ala AP-220)?

Thanks for any help,

Shane

Mar 04, 2014 12:42 AM

Here are a few different angle photos of the AP-275/IAP-275 model. Note that the first photo shows the optional long bracket, AP-270-MNT-V1.

20140226_Aruba_2226-sm.png   

20140226_Aruba_2234-sm.png    20140226_Aruba_2235-sm.png  

20140226_Aruba_2236-sm.png           20140226_Aruba_2238-sm.png

Feb 28, 2014 02:25 PM

@DLCAceIT:

We are adding a solution for overhead mount in the next two months as well as a shorter version of the wall/pole mount next month. Here is a pic of the shorter "V2" wall mount. Note that the shorter mount has more rear attentuation impact from wall/pole so you should take that into consideration depending on the coverage needed. The other long "V1" bracket shown in the blog content is designed to have less "RF shadow" when mounted on a pole.

V2-short.png

Feb 28, 2014 09:28 AM

How about a bracket the allows the AP to be mounted directly above? The bracket seems fairly large, and may be a constraint for some. Also if mounted to a metal pole, won't this have an effect on propogation (esp for the omnidirectional model)? What are the new antenna models available?

Feb 13, 2014 08:45 PM

you can continue to use the 2x2 antennas with the 274 product  and terminate the 3rd port. Net tx power reuction is 1.8 dB. However, 27x net conducted power is higher than 175 so this still delivers a net benefit. Additional antennas will be added to the portfolio so "Stay Tuned"

Feb 11, 2014 07:51 PM

Hi All,

What is an advised mounting height on a lightpole for the AP-275 for a Uni campus situation (coverage& capacity)? The video at 13:50 shows a significant dip around the 15-20m radius. My understanding of Omni directional radios is that they radiate half their signal up and their most powerfull lobes horizontally, so only a small proportion downward in the direction on clients.

I'm currently doing a design using the AP-175 and the downtilt AP-ANT-90, but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding setup using the AP-274. As the AP-274s antenna options are either Omni's or Sector's.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/access-points/270-series/

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_AP270Series.pdf

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/OG_AP-270Series.pdf

Any clarifications would be most appreciated or data sheets on the antennas RF patterns.

Thanks and regards,

Shane

Feb 11, 2014 10:55 AM

Now i just see that there isnt  any of the firmware that it need available

6.4 for controller

And  4.1 for instant

It is coming anytime soon?

Feb 11, 2014 10:49 AM

I think its already out... at least it seems i can quote it with the quote configurator tool of aruba partners...

Feb 11, 2014 10:47 AM

Release date??

Feb 11, 2014 09:12 AM

Also i saw that you test this with a Galaxy S4

But what about with non ac clients.

Would i get decent speed at 70m??? if he has line of sigh?

Feb 11, 2014 09:10 AM

Hello

I was wondering that if i wanted to build a mesh with this AP what would be the maximum distance for it? to establish a decent link in an open space which  has Line of Sigh ?

Distance in Meters

Cheers

Carlos