Blogs

Sometimes 3s a Crowd

By gfesta posted Jun 05, 2014 12:24 AM

When properly designed, three-wheeled vehicles can deliver superior handling, performance, and greater fuel efficiency compared to their four-wheeled counterparts and greater stability and safety than their 2 wheeled-counterparts.  

However, not all designs are equal.  When improperly designed, three-wheeled vehicles can be tragic.  Take the Reliant Robin for example. A three-wheeled design catastrophe only a mother could love.  Watch the Reliant Robin in action. 

RR1.png

These same design principles also hold true for Access Points.  Like a car, an AP’s performance is tied to how well the AP is designed and how well the underlying components work together to provide an output that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Aruba’s AP-205 was purpose-built to bring the performance gains of 802.11ac at a cost-effective price point to high-density environments consisting predominately of single and dual-stream clients.  

SS clients.png

To validate the AP-205s design advantages in a high-density environment we decided to test it against Cisco’s brand new AP-2700, which is a 3x4:3SS AP. When we tested Cisco’s AP-3700, which boasts a 4th antenna, it didn’t come close to matching the performance of Aruba’s 3x3:3 AP-225.  We wondered if the AP-2700 had similar design flaws and would suffer the same fate as the AP-3700. 

Multi-client TCP Throughput Test

In this sixty-client test, the Aruba AP-205 delivered 46% faster downstream throughput and 33% faster bidirectional throughput than Cisco’s AP-2700. 

MMTCPTP.png

Small Packet Throughput Test (VoIP)

In this thirty-client test, we used packet sizes that are common in today’s networks running VoIP and latency sensitive applications. The AP-205 delivered 4.3x more traffic with 256B packets and 2.8x with 512B packets than Cisco’s AP-2700. 

UDPTP.png

Multi-Client 3 Stream Throughput Test

To put the AP-205 to the ultimate test, we decided to test with only 3-stream clients. Remember, the AP-205 is a 2x2:2SS and the Cisco 2700 is a 3x4:3SS.  As you can see below, the AP-205 outperformed the AP-2700 by delivering 40% faster downstream throughput in a test that favored a :3SS AP.  

MC3SSTP.png

Multi-Client Throughput Test using PoE

One of the design elements of the AP-205 was to deliver full 11ac performance in dense environments with 802.3af power. As shown in the chart below, the AP-205 delivered 45% greater throughput than the AP-2700 and none of the clients were starved nor hogged the air. With the AP-2700, over half the clients were starved of airtime and got less than 2Mbps. One lucky client got 43Mbps, but this came at the expense of other clients. 

cd3.png

Performance is a function of product design and the underlying components. Adding a third-spatial stream to an AP is akin to adding a 3rd wheel to a vehicle. If it’s not properly designed, it can lead to instability and poor performance, as evident in the AP-2700s test results. 

RR2.png 

As you look to migrate to 802.11ac, be sure to take note of the devices on your network and don't be fooled by what's on the data sheet. Kick the11ac  tires and if you happen to be in the Bay Area, be sure to stop by 1344 Crossman and see for yourself how the AP-205 outperforms Cisco’s AP-2700. 

Test Bed Setup

Setup.png

#AP205
9 comments

Comments

Jun 20, 2014 03:37 PM

Hi NightShade1. 

I highly recommend syncing with your lobal Aruba account team on product avaialblity.  :smileyvery-happy:

Jun 20, 2014 09:09 AM

Also any ETA for the IAP 205 ? :)

Jun 19, 2014 10:16 PM

Yeah i know that

But there are always  this budget clients that sigh... they are sometimes frustrating  if you know what i mean :)

3x3 ac outdoor i mean the 270 it has a great price

But i though well if the AP 225 cost X ammount of money and the 205 cost like half of it, why not making the same for outdoor... i mean an outdoor that could cost half of the 275 for example should be okay even for this budget clients :)

Anyways just an idea that could help a lot to many i bealive

Cheers

Carlos

Jun 19, 2014 03:50 PM

Hi NightShade! 

I'll definitely pass along your comments to the produt management team. The AP-270 series 11ac outdoor APs are more cost-effective than 11n outdoor APs from our competitors and delivers full IP66 and IP77 protection from the elements.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_AP270Series.pdf

Cheers, 

G

Jun 18, 2014 02:09 AM

Hello

I was wondering if a 802.11ac 2x2 is on the roadmap for you guys? that would be a super cheaper outdoor for budget clients which there are a LOT around.

Cheers

Carlos

Jun 11, 2014 08:06 PM

The AP-205 has a faster CPU.  For high-density deployments your best option is the AP-225.  The AP-115 is interesting if there are a fair amount of 11n 3x3 clients in the environment and you want to optimize performance for those clients - max PHY datarate of 450Mbps with the AP115 vs. 300Mbps with the AP-205.  Max PHY datarates for a 2x2 111ac client is 867Mbps.

Jun 11, 2014 12:17 PM

Really? i was told that the 115 has better cpu than the 205 so it can take more devices connected to it than the 205...

i am wrong with this???

Jun 11, 2014 02:29 AM

Hello NightShade1.

It's always a good idea to start with profiling the devices on the network and understanding what devices will be connecting over the course of the next few years. I think you will find that most devices will either be single or dual stream with an increasing amount supporting 11ac. If this is the case, I would go with the AP-205. As you can see from the results above, it delivers great performance at an affordable price point. If the environment has mostly 3SS 11n laptops and it's unlikely to change in the coming years, which I think is highly unlikely, go with the 115.  Always a good idea to get a large number of slower devices on and off the network faster. If you are deploying in a high-density environment, I would go with the AP-205.

Cheers,

G

Jun 09, 2014 10:37 AM

Well im kind of confused...

What kind of High density is designed the 205?

It supposed that the 115 support more  clients becuase it has better cpu and memory than the 205.

This is kind of confusing because you got to take in mind the memory and cpu and also the BW available...

If we compare 115 vs 205

On the 205 you got more BW available but the cpu and the BW is less

On the 115 you got more cpu and memory available but less BW(at least in one stream(supposing all cilents are ac clients)

Any comment that help me to understand better ? :)

Just want to pick the right AP for the client in the right situation... not giving them like a overkilled AP or an AP that will not fill their needs.

Cheers

Carlos