Training, Certification & Career

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Get more information about the HPE Aruba Networking technical training and certification programs. Network with your colleagues to improve your career, and post job availability for network engineers within your organization.
Expand all | Collapse all

ACCX

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  ACCX

Posted Jan 14, 2019 08:54 AM

Hello Everyone.

I have taken the ClearPass Essentials class and attained the ACCP cert. I am going to be taking the Advanced Labs class soon.

When I looked at the ACCX (ClearPass Advanced) certification, I noticed that it is not a typical cert exam but an 8-hour practical and requires one to be able to configure specific Aruba as well as Cisco controllers, along with Active Directory.

Here's the last piece of the puzzle: My background is analytics and database - spent many years with IBM as a pre-sales engineer selling DB2 and associated products. I also have a couple of years pre-sales experience with Cybersecurity products in the endpoint management space. But I have little or no communications/networking background.

Do I understand the fundamentals behind an ip address, a DNS, a router, a switch, a controller? Sure. Do I have experience configuring them? No.

I'd like to throw this out to anyone who's been through this and would like to offer their opinion. I'm sure eventually I can learn what I need to learn. But am I getting the wrong impression that getting to the point that one can pass the ACCX exam and/or be able to be productive as part of an implementation or to lead an implementation (as part of a business partner or the like) ... would take quite a bit more practical experience than what I have? How much experience/time? Is this role a pragmatic choice for someone with my background?

Many thanks for your help!   

• 2.  RE: ACCX

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 10:37 AM

ACCX is a practical exam, and most information about it is available here.

This page includes a Candidate Profile:

"Typical candidates for this certification are networking IT professionals with a minimum of three to five years experience in designing and integrating complex enterprise-level mobile first networks. Successful candidates have familiarity with integrating ClearPass Policy manager, Guest, Onboarding, Onguard, Profiling and Posture in multi-server ClearPass deployments."

From my personal experience, without solid hands-on experience, it will be very hard to pass the exam.  During this 8 hour exam, you will be required to demonstrate your skills by making the correct design choices and then actually implement it on the equipment that is available to reach a working environment.

So unless you implemented ClearPass in a few deployments, it will be a challenge to pass this test.