Training, Certification & Career

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Get more information about the HPE Aruba Networking technical training and certification programs. Network with your colleagues to improve your career, and post job availability for network engineers within your organization.
Expand all | Collapse all

Purchase used equipment for home lab and licensing

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Purchase used equipment for home lab and licensing

Posted Mar 09, 2017 08:04 PM

Hey,

I was on ebay today looking through some used Aruba gear and discovered that I can pick up a 3000 series controller for between $150 and $300 dollars CAD. I didn't really like at AP's, but I remember seeing some 105's for pretty cheap.

In terms of licensing for the controller I would need:

• Access Point (packs of 4 only?)
    • Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall Module (packs of 4 only?)
    • RF Protect (packs of 4 only?)

I would eventually like to have a ClearPass server so that I can practise managing the whole wireless environment and prep for my ACCA and ACCP. And then eventually move on to CWNA and CCNA (plan to add a Cisco switch to the mix). Certs may not necessarily go in that order though.

Just curious if anyone else has gone this route?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Purchase used equipment for home lab and licensing

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 13, 2017 06:47 AM

Hi,

Good idea !

If you are Aruba Partner, you can ask for have some eval license for ClearPass and controller (AP, PEFNG...)

• 3.  RE: Purchase used equipment for home lab and licensing

Posted Mar 13, 2017 09:17 AM
    licensing has changed now, you can order individual licenses for Ap, pef and rf protect to the quantities you want or you can order an enterprise license which comes with AP, PEF, RF PROTECT and Airwave, again with how many you want. my suggestion is to speak to your SE and see if you can get lab gear at a discount.

#AirheadsMobile

• 4.  RE: Purchase used equipment for home lab and licensing

Posted Mar 13, 2017 11:05 AM

That is awesome that we can purchase singular licenses now! I checked on CDW and found that the licenses aren't all that expensive either. You can create a pretty nice home lab for relatively cheap ($300 - $400).

The big hurdle I will have is the license for ClearPass. Not sure if this is bad to discuss here, but if I could obtain a trial license, would I be able to us that in lab

Unfortunately I don't have a direct SE with Aruba :(

Our equipment is Dell branded so I don't have many contacts with Aruba directly. I would prefer Aruba equipment for my home lab.

If anyone is in the Ontario, Canada and has an Aruba contact they would recommend I would appreciate it!