Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Occasional Contributor II

Re: 8320+VSF

Would like to know as soon as this is available. We bought a pair to relpace our enterprise core infrastructure with the assumption that there would be stackable for resiliance with L2 and L3 in a single locical switch.

Don't know if I'll be able to configure them that way right now even if it does provide L2 redundancy with the comlex setup you described.

@Ruben.Iglesias
Highlighted

Hi,

I believe that with the current options like MC-LAG and active gateway you are more then able to setup and configure a redudant core providing L2 and L3 redundancy. 

When VSX is available from release 10.1 the configure part will be easier. That said, setting up MC-LAG with active gateway is not hard at all. Even i can do it.....

Cheers, Frank
AirHeads MVP |AMFX#22| ACCX#613| ACMX#733| ACDX#744

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Highlighted
MVP Guru

8320 does support single virtual data-path with MCLAG in 10.0 and with VSX in 10.1 (coming soon). Essentially, VSX LAG is equal to multi-chassis LAG. VSX brings also other functions like some configuration synchronization and troubelshooting to simplify the management plane.

VSX brings also Virtual first hop gateway (active-active), and optimized L3 processing to avoid unnecessary inter-switch traffic within a VSX stack.

However, VSX is positionned for distribution/core where we want HA during upgrade. In that context, we keep separate control plane and both VSX nodes have their own router ID, and appear as two separate L3 nodes in the L3 routing domain. 

Highlighted

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers, Frank

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hello all, I've few general questions about ArubaOS-CX VSX implementation with regard to hitless failover and declared near zero downtime during software updates.

Considering that ArubaOS-CX 10.01 is just behind the corner (Will it be available during mid July?) and so VSX can be finally deployed:

• Will an VSX deployment be stable enough with ArubaOS-CX 10.01 to be used in a production environment (In our case we are planning to under-use it basically to provide Layer 2 connectivity on a scenario where, potentially, also an HPE FlexFabric 59x0 would fit the bill)?
  • Will software updates really near zero downtime?
  • Will failover really be hitless (considering that ISL and Keepalive links should be deployed as per VSX implementation best practices)?

Thanks for any insight and suggestion.

Highlighted

Hi

From my experience Aruba firmware out in the field is always production ready. True hitless failover will mean a sync in traffic between the two 8320's. I don't believe that will happen. But with MCLAG you already get a fast failover in traffic. With VSX it will get even faster.

Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
MVP Guru

VSX, as part of ArubaOS-CX 10.1, is available by mid-July. This release has been extensively tested, and failover time will depend mostly about the network topology. You may contact me for a demo if you need where I reboot a switch and total interruption time is less than 0.5 second for unicast test flows (including routing). 10.1 is mature to go for production.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

@vincent.giles: thanks for the infos you provided, that's reassuring...probably Aruba 8320 is going to be underutilized and/or overrated for the network scenario we want to deploy: we need a very fast switch (with very low latency at 10Gbps line rate), with fast backplane (in range of Tbps), stackable (IRF/VSF like) and we are going to use grand total of about 60 SFP+ ports and just a few SFP (RJ45) ports. The switch itself is not going to perform L3, just L2 in a quite isolated zone (backend, inbetween our IBM Power 7, 8 and 9 servers infrastructure and IBM all-flash SAN)...we are also evaluating a more "common" solution that include an HPE 5940 (so Comware 7 based which means IRF+ISSU) with same number of SFP+ ports and QSFP+ ports.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Hello Parnasus,

For these kind of deployments (Layer 2 - 10G Ports) we use the switch HPE 5700, I suggest you to look into it, its price is like half of the 5940 or 6320 and it supports IRF up to 9 members.

Best Regards

Luis Regis

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Eventually I can create another post to discuss this further (don't want to go too Off-Topic since here we discuss about Aruba 8320/8400 and VSX)...but, yes, you're probably right (there are cheaper alternatives which are able to provide good performance for the price)...on the other hand it is also a matter of purchasing something that is (a) recently engineered both in terms of HW (e.g. with respect to Hardware Backplane, CPU, latency and Packet Buffer size, as examples) and SW (Comware 7 on both, so OK...even if we should take care of tiny differences in Software Development lines) and that is (b) future proof in order to be a good investment at least for next 6 or more years (which is mostly related to Software Development and type of interfaces the device provides, the latter is quite static since SFP+ and QSFP+ will remain there...the former may vary during the product lifecycle).

P.S.

A full SFP+ (plus some QSFP+) HPE 5700 hasn't exactly the same port density of a full SFP+ (plus some QSFP+) of an HPE 5940 or Aruba 8320...I mean in a like-for-like comparison: 40 SFP+ ports against 48 SFP+ ports and 2 versus 6 QSFP+. Also a 5900AF could be an alternative (not necessarily cheaper than Aruba 8320 in a equivalent configuration).